Having problems w/ head unit since it got cold

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by dominator, Nov 9, 2010.

1. dominator

dominator New Member

The past two mornings when it has gotten pretty cold whenever I turn on my stereo it makes this weird noise. It sound almost like the tape deck is constantly trying to eject but i don't think it is that it just sounds kinda like it. It still does it if I have the engine off too but it works perfectly fine in the afternoon when it is warmer. Any suggestions about what could be wrong?

2. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

hard to say without the radio in front of me. is it a factory rig or aftermarket?

3. dominator

dominator New Member

factory, 2000 hyundai tiburon

4. ericj

ericj Full Member

Condensation maybe? Try using a hairdryer on it next time it's doing it and see if it makes the noise stop.

5. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

stuck microswitch, extreme cold causing contraction of circuit board and making a solder bridge short out, this may sound crazy, but if you dont wanna pull it and tear into it, next time it does it, gently "smack" the radio and see if it quits...not hard enough to crack the display or cause damage. A bit of physical abuse might make it stop LOL!

If not that then You might look into taking it to a car audio shop or perhaps the dealer for them to have a looksy...

6. dominator

dominator New Member

alright I'll give it a smack tomorrow and see what happens haha

7. Klinkster

Klinkster Full Member

Fixing it isn't cost effective. When my cd changer mechanism broke on my '04 Hyundai Santa Fe, repairing it STARTED at $275.....thats when I decided to say farewell to it and welcome Pioneer!

8. cork1958

cork1958 Full Member

Yeah,
    If smacking it lightly doesn't cure it, may as well plan on a new one. Way more costly to repair than replace.