having bracket built, what determines pulleys?

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by kryptonitewhite, Sep 14, 2010.

1. kryptonitewhite

kryptonitewhite Full Member

I have someone local that might build me a bracket, but IDK if single or dual...depends on what needs to be done for pulleys? Can I just have a dual bracket with no pulleys, or how do I figure what I need?

Thanks!

2. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Not sure exactly what you mean? bracket with no pulleys? Are you referring to the alternator itself or the mounting bracket? cause i am unaware of a bracket that has ANY type of pulley...

3. kryptonitewhite

4. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Ok.....

So you want to run 2 alternators .....

Well...at least run a double V belt. Better yet, run a serpintine. A serpintine will pull more horsepower with less slippage then a v belt. and do it with less loss. It takes approximatly 5-7 HP to crank out 60 amps of current. And a single v belt is good for about 50 amps at about 40% pulley engagement.....you do the math.....

hope that helps you out.

5. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

I would say yes you need the idler pulley on there.

6. kryptonitewhite

ill be running 3 alts, 1 HO in stock location now and pulling AC to add 2 more off my serpentine

yep, after I heard my van bog down on a load test, wow...better add a pulley!