Ground Loop?

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Amplifiers' started by squareRod, Jan 17, 2010.

1. squareRod

squareRod New Member

Hi, before I get into detail let me give you an Idea of my setup
    Two 12" MTX Thunder9500 subs
    sony xplod head unit
    bazooka 1500w amp
    some off brand 6x9s and a couple tweets
    I recently rebuilt my 1969 squareback from the ground up. all this audio equipment was given to me for christmas by my uncle. these old volkswagens do not have much in regards of a charging system, as these older cars use generators and not alternators, I decided to wire up my system on a completely separate circuit on a different battery that I could charge any time it runs out of power.

Today, I got the basics done and hooked everything up. I have the constant power lead running from the battery to a switch (so i can turn the entire system off when I park) and the acc. (red ) wire going from the switch to the pigtail. the head unit itself is grounded to the battery. my amp is connected to the same battery. Every time I connect the speaker output to ONE of my subs, for some reason both my subs start making a very loud humming noise, i haven't been able to get any sound out of them whatsoever besides this very loud humming which the neighbors love. i screwed up the first time and accidentally ran the rca cables right next to the power for the head unit, so i figured that was the problem. I separated them and tried it again. same result. Could this be a ground loop? and if so how would I fix it?

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

hmmmm.... let me ask you this. what is the amp mounted to? bare metal floor or a piece of wood?

i know that my old PG amps do not like to be mounted to the metal floor of my truck, so i had to use a piece of 1/4 mdf.

whats the final impedance of the subs to the amp?