Got All My "stuff" Ordered!!

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by texcon, May 14, 2004.

1. texcon

texcon Full Member

So, I finally have all my audio equipment ordered for my first true install. I played around in car audio way back in HS and college, but that was all ghetto-fied installs and equipment. Just to think the audio bug bit me all because I posted on a few forums about how my sub was making a "popping" noise. I have learned tons from forums like this, so I am confident I will be able to make this a clean install.

My install will consist of the following in a 1997 2.5 TL:

* Old school round Solobaric 12" sub (circa 1997)
    * JL XR 650 CSi 2-way front comps
    * Phoenix Gold Tantrum 1200.1 for the sub
    * Phoenix Gold ZX400ti for the front comps
    * Alpine 9813 (I decided to try this out first rather than get an 8600)

Lots of Second Skin products, wire, ring terminals, upgraded electrical wires, etc

Seeing that my wife and I are going to San Francisco next weekend on a 5 day vacation, I can't begin my install until after we get back on May 27. I have been waiting a long time to do this, so I am pretty stoked I have all the equipment purchased.

I will take lots of pics and share them as I go along. Any tips you think I can benefit from would be greatly appreciated!

2. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

This sounds like some very cool stuff.
    Like I say to absolutely everybody - be sure to install it right, the install defines the performance and limits of your final system most often even more than the actual products being installed.
    In your case especially, since you have good equipment listed here.
    I'm not sure if you have the original spec sheet for that sub - but if you don't, contact Kicker (ask for the tech department) and ask for the Thielle Small specs for the 1997 version of the Solobaric. It's evolved dramatically over the years, the current Solobaric actually bears little resemblance to the original Solobaric (which got its name when Kicker emulated an Isobaric pair with a single woofer by essentially doubling cone mass, suspension stiffness and BL).

Also, as far as power wiring goes:
    You simply can't beat this.
    1/0 gauge might be overkill for you... but overkill is a good thing, and you won't ever have to worry about future upgrades. (and with a 1200w amp, honestly - it's NOT overkill - don't even think about going 4 gauge).
    And for $55, it's a bargain. B)
    It includes everything you need... fuse and fuseholder for underhood, distribution block for the back, even 16 feet of decent RCA cable, machined ring terminals, and some other install goodies.

What you'll want on top of that is some length of 4 gauge power wire and some 4 gauge crimp on ring terminals, if you are going to do your "magic 3" (and also for the short lengths of wire going from the distribution block to the amps)... but that can be found very inexpensively.

Hope you are having fun on vacation - let us know when you start on the install!

And if you have any issues at all during the install, post them here, and we'll offer any help we can. It's generally best to let your install get delayed a half a day or a day rather than take a risk. ;)

3. texcon

texcon Full Member

Thanks Chris (Chris, right - I am Aaron BTW). I am installing some 0/1 guage wire I got from Frito on CAF and using many a ring terminal I got from Parts Express. I know these got mixed reviews, but I am protecting my 0/1 power wire via a 140 amp circuit breaker. With 2 amps, I got a fused distro block that uses MAXI fuses. Some said the fuse on the main power wire would suffice, but since I am going from 0/1 to 4 awg, I wanted to employ some fuses for the 4 awg wire. Overkill, perhaps. Peace of mind, definitely.

Also, I am currently running my Solo off the ZX400, which is powered via some 4 guage. So I will have 4 awg for my magic 3 upgrade. Again, I bought oodles of ring terminals from PE for this.

I will contact Kicker for those TS parameters - several people whom I believe know what they are talking about suggested I build a 1.25-1.50 cu box and slowly decrease the volume until I achieve the tuning I want. But more input on this would be great. I'll post the TS parameters and see what others think I should do.

Below is a link to my second wave of sound deadening installation (the floor under the carpet). I am using Second Skin products - under the carpet I used 2 layers of STFU 80 and 1 layer of Vinyl Liner on the firewall and front part of the floor and 1 layer of Damplifier on the rest of the floor under the carpet. I have also added 2 layers of Damplifier to the trunk walls and floor. So I have the doors, under the back seat and rear wheel wells to do still.

http://www.s89008730.onlinehome.us/11615.html