Gmx-922 Or Bp80.4

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by DerrikW, Apr 19, 2004.

1. DerrikW

DerrikW Full Member

I have a pioneer gmx-922, the old class A 600 watter, that does 100X2 at 4 ohms. A friend of mine says he will trade me a jbl 80.4 which does 180X2 at 4 ohms for it. Do you think it's worth it? I know the jbl puts out quite a bit more power, but what do you think I will lose or gain in SQ? These amps are/will be powering a set of comps. Thanks

2. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I just don't like JBL amps...

JMO

3. Feandil

Feandil Full Member

Agreed...

JMO

4. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Why not?
    I've seen and heard some good sounding systems that had JBL amps in them.

Granted, the Pioneer is a Class A, which would be replaced by a Class A/B... but theoretical differences aside, there's not much sonic difference to be heard between two well-executed examples of each class - if any at all.

Further - and maybe more importantly - if the gains are set conservatively low on this newer, more powerful amp, the benefits of running the amp in such a conservative way might actually result in better sound quality.

I'm just hypothesizing, for the sake of "the other side of the coin", bear in mind...
    Whether or not you'll actually be able to hear any difference at all - you won't be able to tell until you actually swap amps. Give it a try, in advance! B)

5. DerrikW

DerrikW Full Member

Thanks Chris!