Getting power to a satellite radio

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by grande42xcom, Aug 6, 2007.

1. grande42xcom

grande42xcom Full Member

Hey all,

I own a 2004 Chevy Silverado 1500 WT with the stock AM/FM radio (no cassette or CD player). I am interested in upgrading the head unit to an aftermarket model (possibly a JVC) or getting a a fancier OEM radio from GM.

I'd like to get satellite radio, but my question is, how do I power the satellite radio unit? Should I splice into the existing 12V line? Or should I hard wire a line into the fuse box?

Thanks,

~ Richard

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

most new model cd heads are sat radio ready.whats your budget?

3. grande42xcom

grande42xcom Full Member

I am trying to keep everything under 500 dollars. The issue of whether the receiver is "sat ready" or not isn't really a problem for me. My problem is getting power to the satellite radio unit itself. I've seen other forums where users tap directly into the fuse box, while others splice into the switched 12V wire that's already going to radio head unit.

I am not sure which method I should take. if I go with the "fuse box" method, I am worried it could affect the electrical system of the entire truck. If I go with the "splice" method, will I still have enough juice for both the radio head unit and sat unit??

4. pedro quiroga

ok..so then you already have a sat recever?

i run my sat tuner box off of the same power wire that powers my head unit.same thing with my ipod adapter.

they dont draw too much power,and i've had zero probs.
    [​IMG]

5. pedro quiroga

if its a portable unit like the xm roady.then its 6 volts.

6. grande42xcom

grande42xcom Full Member

No, my stock radio is not SAT ready, so I plan to purchase a better OEM (Delco) radio that is SAT ready (and w/ a 6 Disc CD changer!).

My other concern is wiring in the antenna. I've seen some websites (such as Crutchfield) reccommend passing the wiring through the Bed lights (3rd brake light) into the cab.

Honestly I don't want to do that cause I don't want to run into problems w/ the fabric ceiling, where "bubbles" start to form, the the fabric pulls away from the ceiling of the cab (it's happened in almost every other GM that my parents and I have owned).

I've found an alternative where I can drill a hole directly into the cab right behind the passenger seat, feed the wire behind the plastic molding and fabric, and down under the passenger side seats.

This brings up a concern about keeping the cab sealed up. I figure I can simply use a grommet and seal up the hole. But I am not sure what kind or size grommet I should use.

Does anyone have any ideas??

Thanks,

~ Grande

7. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Please dont drill any holes in your truck. Not a good Idea. I put holes on the roof all the time and I use O-ring seals that will not leak. Let a pro put a hole in the roof.

Now for the antenna. Put it on the front of the roof, center. Place it right up on the windshield molding. Using a dull pick tool, push the wire under the windshield molding. The molding will lay flat when you push it all the way in.
    When you get to the edge, the door molding needs to be pulled back slightly. There will be a groove or slot that the antenna wire can pass through down to the next door molding. Pull it off and place the antenna wire into the molding and put it back in place. The wire should now be in the truck.

Listen, the only radio that is not XM ready is the base model AM/FM. If you have AM/FM CD it is XM ready.

Also a used radio will NOT work in your truck, unless you have access to a Tech2. A newer model GM radio will only work in the truck it came in unless its reprogramed.

8. grande42xcom

grande42xcom Full Member

Ranger,

That's what I have, the base AM/FM player. The radio has no cassette player, no CD player, no "BAND" button either. I understand that if I get a used OEM radio, I'll need a dealer to program it to work in my truck. Most of the sites that sell them have that info posted already.

Thanks for the antenna tips though!

9. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I guess you have already done your homework. Good job