Gettin Ready To Put System Together This Week

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by kennyg, Jul 24, 2004.

1. kennyg

kennyg Full Member

Got my tweets finally, I'll have some pics hopefully by the end of the week. I ended up going with a pair of Blaupunkt tweets off sounddomain, here's a link:

http://www.cardomain.com/item/BLAPCC50

And, these xovers also have outputs for my mids, too, which will be awesome, and will xover everythign at 3500 hz. Now, I don't have to make xovers for my mids, the tweets came with them.

My mids I bought are RF Fanatic Q 4" mids, for my dash. I have to do a little modifying to my dash and my speakers, but, it will all fit, and look good, and sound awesome.

These will get ran with my profile CA400, 100rmsx2.

I'll be running my ED 12k 2003 boob cone, in 1.8 tuned to 35 hz, with, temporarily, a profiel cl-600 2 channel.

Haven't decided on rear fill yet. I'll leave teh stock ears in, for now, they do seem to add to the sound stage some (I think thats just ebcause of the missing sub, but, I'll decide after I hook everything up)

As for HU, right now, I'm running a cheap $50 old calrion. It works, has dual preouts, what more can I ask for, I guess, lol.

Well, I'll keep you guys updated on progress!!

2. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

Awesome! I hope it turns out well. :D

3. kennyg

kennyg Full Member

I'm finally gettin some of my system in. I'm taking my time this time, however. I actually want this one to look decent for once. I've got my power wire run thru the firewall, to the abck seat (haven't taken teh back seat off yet, as I wanna do that to get teh stock sound insulation off the entire back seat covering).

I've got all my wires pulled thru the dash, speaker wires, x-overs hidden, rca's, remote, etc. Still have to run that down the passengers side, though. You guys know what the trunk looks like in these cars, right? In case I forgot to mention, it's an 84 Olds Delta 88 4 door. Any idea where I should mount my amps? There's really no place out of the way for them.

But, I'm taking pictures, and as soon as I ge them developed, I'm putting them on CD, and I'll upload them somehwere, maybe somebody here has a lil space I could borrow to share soe pics with?
    I'll keep everyone updated, though. :ph34r:

4. kennyg

kennyg Full Member

Dude, my shit is so fuckin loud, it's not even funny. OK, I'm running the 12k at 2 ohms bridged to a profile Clarus Cl800, 600 rms at 4 ohms bridged. With the gains maxxed, and the bass boost cranked up, the sub actually sounds damn good, and doesn't distort very much, adn I know it's not enough power to actually hurt the sub. For some reason, the amp takes it, and loves it. It is pretty loud. I dunno, rant, I guesss, I'm jusy happy I finalyl have SOMETHING for beats
    lol.

5. _gonz_

_gonz_ Full Member

whoA!

isn't this a violation of everything held sacred?

6. kennyg

kennyg Full Member

Yes, but, with a $50 amp, that seems to take it just fine, I don't care right now. I'm just enjoying my beats for teh first time in a long, long time, lol.

7. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

golly gee, don't let the ed sheep see thatone. that's nto to say taht they don't all do it themselves, I'm sure half of them think gain is a fancy french word for volume, but yea *uggh* sorry I'm bitter...

at anyrate.From my personal take on things, if your front stage is nice and strong, rear fill is silly. I go back and fourth between leaving my stock rear spakers hookedup to my deck, and just unpluggign them alltogether. I'd have to say that it depends on the music and my mood, but just about always the no-rear-fill bit preveils. Oh, and FWIF, I used to run 4 equal speakers getting equal power before that ower kept getting shifted more and more to th front, and eventually I actually jsut sold my rear speakers and put the factory ones back in (the factory paper whizzers actually sound better to me) What I really noticed is that factory speakers reproduce a good midrange kinda sound, but sorta mute the tweeters (which is good for thsi application) Also, why waste good power on speakers that're going behind you to play the "also there" role.

8. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

oh, hmm.. looking at your setup, you might really want ot look into finding a way to get some bigger midbass speakers upfront somewhere.. hard to get decent lowend out of 4's you'll likely have to crossthem over at around 120hz or higher to handle any kind of power, and then your sub's got alot of a dip into the midbass range that you will be able to locate.

9. kennyg

kennyg Full Member

Ya, I don't have rear fill, I took them out, I just wanted to run them with the sub in long enough to decide how it sounds with it in, then took it out. Ya, I'd like to do somethign else up front, but, I'm not too overly concerned about it, really. It sounds pretty good the way it is. I'm not going to cut teh doors on this car, so, thats really teh best I can do.

10. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

http://www.betteraudio.com/geolemon/phasing/phasing.htm :detective:

11. TheSSG

TheSSG Full Member

I'm with Poseur on this one. You may want to look into bigger than 4" speakers for midbass. I once had 4X6 speakers, they sucked for midbass. It's worth any chopping you have to do.

12. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

doors aren't the only option, you can always take a gander at a fiberglassing tutorial and make yourself some kickpods. AS for affixing them, you could use velcro or something else non-permanent.

Trust me, fiberglassing may seem scary, but really it's quite accomplishable I recently made myself a sub box coming from no experience whatsoever. kicks would be a nice easy "starter" project with glass. Just go into it knowing that it's not going to be fast to do. my box took 3weeks, but really. running with just 4's, you're gonna be lacking in the midbass range, yes your sub can makeup for the difference, but then again, you're hearing sound behind you

13. _gonz_

_gonz_ Full Member

i cut my doors for 6.5" coaxials,

before that, all i had up there were 4" Alpine coaxials, in the dash, off the HU

so i tossed them,

put matching 4" and 6.5" drivers in dash/doors, and tried it for bout 2 weeks off the HU.

HUGE improvement.

Then i amped them with a mere 45wt or so per channel....

i bout shit myself. it's like night and day... i thought maybe there would be hardly no difference with that little amount of power, and boy was i wrong.

the difference has been huge, and it gets better, every step of the way thus far.

and i have'nt even deadened! not going to waste all that money and time into a car i'm trying to dump... but once i get the new car, it'll be totally disassembled for both liquid, and stick-down deadening on top of that.

I've done a bunch of stuff on this car, like cutting doors and running wire, just for practice sake. It's still sorta half-ass... i'm sure Geo would laugh, but it works and i'm a bit better prepared, as well as more confident, for the new car.

I hope you'll consider going further with your front stage. Hacking the doors is hardly as bad as you may think.
    Allow me to make a suggestion! Go to the junkyard, and get yourself a set of practice skins. I was going to, but i'm glad i did'nt, as it woulda been pointless. But... it'll give you much more confidence, and a safety net, which it seems like right now you're lacking. Good luck!

14. kennyg

kennyg Full Member

No, I've cut doors before, i know how to, I just don't want to. See, I'm not exactly one to keep a car very long, so, the less I do to make ti worth less, the better. And, this car is really in way too good of shape for what it is to just go putting holes in teh doors. Thanks for teh suggestions, though, but, It's simply not in the plans right now. Oh, btw, I've never had kicks, but, I've been in peoples cars with kicks, and, to tell you the truth, I'd never use them. I'd destroy them, I'd step on them, they just seem to get in my way. I'm not gonna build kicks, cause I already put my feet all the way over to teh stock kick, image what I'd do if I had speakers there.

Anywho, thaks for all the questions and teh support, guys.

15. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Believe me, I wouldn't laugh...
    Since my Civic's been off the road, I've been driving around in a Pathfinder, having nothing more than an Alpine HU powering a set of old classic Alpine coax's that I keep around for "emergency" duty. :p