Gains-HPF-LPF

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by TheeyaN, Jul 5, 2009.

1. TheeyaN

TheeyaN Full Member

When setting gains via DMM should my HPF and LPF be ON or OFF?

Also should i set them both on HU and the AMP or is only HU enough?

HU is Pioneer P88RS

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

i think ON.

which ever has the better crossover i think. in my case it was my amp. with my old amps it was my head that had the more flexible xover.

3. TheeyaN

TheeyaN Full Member

K thanks :)

I am gonna go with the HU becouse its a smart HU ^^ It has that auto TA and EQ settings processor,that works via microphone,and it says turn crossovers off on the amps.

So bassicly i am gonna make one setting manualy,and one with that auto adjustment option and see where it takes me.

Heres a question. If i set HPF at 80hz slope -12db and LPF at 80hz slope -18db will there be sound cancelation,or phase turning or what =)

4. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

um thats beyond what i know.:(. i know when i only use my heads xover (pioneer 7800)

i did 80HZ hipass and 80HZ lowpass without any negative results.

5. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

It depends on the vehicle and the components and all kinds of factors...I doubt if you will get cancelations but it is possible...If your HU has the mic and ability to EQ, does it tell you where you have peaks and valleys in the freq response or does it just adjust it?

Depending on your components and your listening habits, you may wanna crossover at a little bit higher frequency...I always judge my system by listening hard to bass guitar and kick drum on well recorded music and see..Alot of kick drum upper frequencies live up above 80hz (maybe up to 100-120) and when bass guitar gets up into the frets on the higher bass notes you can go up into that range too...If I listen to something that the bass player plays a mix of high and low notes and the low ones are strong and the high ones fall away that tells me that my sub is not crossed high enuff to reproduce them and the midbass is not strong enough to produce them as well as the sub produces the lower ones...It makes your bass response inaccurate....

However if your musical taste is more along the lines of stuff that contains alot of synth bass or bass heavy music where all the stuff is geared for 80 hz ish, you will be ok....I have crossed my sub over to the 120 range before and it was ok...If you get it up too high than some things will start to sound boxy..No matter what your midbass drivers' freq response claims on the spec sheet, hearing is believing...They might say they go as low as 40, 50 or 60hz but the 50 hz they produce may be 8 db lower than what your sub does at those freq...I have a radio shack spl meter and I have a test tone CD..I take my sub out of the equasion and go thru the tones and see what my meter says...that will tell you what your midbass response is in the real world..

Just my 2 cents..

Willy