Gain?

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by fb4076, May 19, 2004.

1. fb4076

fb4076 Full Member

I am about to install two 12-inch Kicker Solobaric L7's into a ported box that is approximately 5.5 cubes. They will be in a 2002 Mountaineer (same as explorer), and they will each be powered by their own MA Audio HK1998 amp (they told me about 800W RMS). I was wondering if you had any reccomendations on what I should set the gains at.....

Oh, also... I was wondering if running that off of a stock HU would be ok... I like the stock HU because I am lazy and like a 6-disc changer, I also do not really have the $ right now to buy a HU, but I guess that could wait...

2. texcon

texcon Full Member

Set the gains to whatever they need to be set at - seriously. You can get hardcore and set them using intruments and such, but you can do it just fine by ear.

Check this out:

http://www.installer.com/tech/gains.html

As far as using the HU, you can do that as long as you get a line-out converter to tie into some speaker wires, since your HU likely doesn't have RCAs outputs.

3. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

Well I think I will have an announcement that will benifit you greatly in a day or so if you can wait

4. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Yes, a very big announcement with respect to setting gains.

I expect it to be up within a couple days ;)

5. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

6. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????/// :lmfao:

dont you hate suspense???

I love it :bag: :bag: :bag:

7. texcon

texcon Full Member

You guys giving away some bad ass equipment?

8. DerrikW

DerrikW Full Member

No, I think Michael will be supplying sushi..... wink wink.. Could be wrong though.

9. delvryboy

delvryboy Full Member

i believe sushi is out......sashimi and wings are the current 'foods' of choice ;)

however, i think this question is more geared towards gain matching and not gain setting. this should be done with a dmm, not the ear

do the MA amps have the ability to be daisy chained, using the on-board processing of one amp to be used for the others down the line? if so, matching the gains are as easy as setting them ;)

10. DerrikW

DerrikW Full Member

Wooops my bad. Sashimi I meant. Must of had a brain fart there. Yeah if he is asking about matching the gains, a DMM is the only way to do it. But if he's asking about where to set the gains in general, just use your ear. Best bet is to adjust 1 amp so that it sounds good on that sub, then use a DMM to match the other amp.