Funny Stuff

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Civic96, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

My friend buys 2 12" Pioneers from Circuit City with a box for 50 dollars and calls me to ask if I think it will sound like my system.....lol

I told him that he got what he payed for...I think the things are like 500W max and 150RMS or something.

I kept telling him to save his money and just buy a higher end sub/subs because he would end up throwing them out/ blowing them out and end up taking my advice anyways.

He asked me what guage wire he needed and I told him to go with 4 guage or thicker and he was like "naw, my boy told me I need 16". After I finished laughing I told him that unlike penis size, bigger aint better.

Then he asked me where he can get a real cheap 1000W amp. I told him he could find a nice 1000W amp on ebay but it would be puitting out like 300W in real life and overheating in the process.

I Think Ill just wait till he gets all his money together and make a system for him cuz I feel if he takes matters into his own hands things are not gonna end well. LOL

The original plan was to put a 15" Brahma into his Mercedez C280 but we will see.

2. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

he can afford a mercedes and not a decent system?

albeit not a really expensive mercedes... but still....

3. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

hes a broke hustler...he works with what he has......

4. Tirefryr

Tirefryr Full Member

Never had a problem with any Pioneer drivers. They can me made to sound decent. If that's what he likes, let him spend his money... I'm sure if you help him a little, he may be able to get a decent system around the Pios.

5. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

he already bought them. I guess I have to wait and see how they sound. I think he got a 300W Sony amp for free from someone also

6. The_spacemonkey

The_spacemonkey Full Member

There is an interesting phenomenon I have realized. Many people dont know what they want from a sound standpoint.... or maybe its that they dont know how to put it into words.

Once a guy I know wanted a system that sounded like mine, but he wouldnt listen to my reccomendations and ended up buying some kenwood tornado subs and put them in a high tuned prefab box. It did have one real loud small frequency band(which seemed louder than it was due to distortion) and he absolutely LOVES it. He tells me I would have wasted his money on an inferrior sounding system like mine now :lol: .

So, however hard it may be, Im finding that reccomending what sounds best or what will perform the best isnt necessarily....well.... best. :huh: This is why Im getting more and more reluctant to give a solid reccomendation on a specific product, there is absolutely no way to know what the person really wants.

So the moral of the story here is to not laugh too hard at someones choice of a "lesser" product. They may in fact be HAPPIER with said driver/amp/hu/whatever, than with the more expensive or "better" driver.

7. Tirefryr

Tirefryr Full Member

Well, I myself find it more fun and challenging to take "cheap" equipment and make it sound good. It's more interesting and fun. That's what Car audio is all about.

8. The_spacemonkey

The_spacemonkey Full Member

hehehehe.... no, in this case there was NO tuning. He bought a prefab box from a flea market(he dosent know one thing about driver specs by the way) and the subs from crutchfield I believe.\

Though I agree it is fun to make good sound out of cheap equiptment..... some people will actually STRIVE for what I would call intolerable sound out of thier cheap equiptment. :blink: (not that my definition of what sounds good means anything) :lol:

9. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

Then you get people who have lots of money to spend
    and buy expensive stuff
    then have it sound bad - according to their ears