Four Speakers Off One Amp?

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by WyldOne, Apr 24, 2010.

1. WyldOne

WyldOne New Member

Hey all,

I was wondering would it be possible to run 4 speakers (2 fronts & 2 rears) off one amp? Also, I'm looking at running two subs off one amp too.

I just wanted to know if that is a good idea and what wouls the quality of sound be like?

2. eviling

eviling Full Member

off of one amp for speakers/ they make 4 channel amps for such a reason, and you can easily run 2 or more subs off one single channel amp. in that same way it is also possible to run your speakers in the same manner, such as bridging your rears across 1 channel and your fronts over another. bridging is where you take the 2 channels, make them act as one, i wouldn't do it with speakers, it takes away sq IMO.

as far as subs, what you want to do is get the right coil configurations, such as dual 2 ohm, wire that in series, gives you 4, than do the same with the 2nd sub, giving you 4 ohms again, than wire them both together in parallel, (black to black, red to red) which will devide your resistance in half. giving you 2 ohms at your amp.

we do this because the lower the resistance, the more power the amp can push out. kind of like a water pipe. a 1" pipe will push less water as a 2" pipe. this configuration i described to you is a general one, because most amps will run down to 2 ohm's, but say should you find a single channel, thats stable at 1 ohm, or a 2 channel thats stable bridged down to 1 ohm, you can do it with dual 4 ohm subs, wired in parallel > parallel.

which will be, each sub wired, parallel, black + black, red + red, than them bother together, black+black , red + red.

the description of series is black + red, and black + black, red + red from the amp. this will double the ratings of the 2 coils, by combining the total resistance of each coil together. so dual 2 ohm will give 4, or if in parallel, will give 1 ohm.

it is also very posible to take a 4 channel amp, run \2 channels for speakers, and bridge the other 2 for the sub, or even if you want power in your rear or front, you can even bridge both sets, for your rear or front, and say theres 75 watts rms per chanel, its bridged rating might be as high as 150-160 rms, so you will put 150-160 RMS to each speaker. always make sure you speakers and or subs can handle your power, RMS is a description of root measure squared, quite simply meaning the highest measure of power tested to come out of said amp, and the lowest measure , this will basically give what you an average watt output, it's a formula basically.

and when combining subs, your are doubling said capability, you take an amp with 1000 watts rms output at 2 ohm's, with a 1500 watt peak, and you have 2 12" dual 4 ohm subss, rated a piece at 500 rms, 1000 peaks, you wired those dual 4 ohm coil subs in parallel parallel, you will have essentially 1 sub that will take 1000 watts rms, and 2000 watt peaks, which is well over the 1500 watt peaks produce by said amp.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  3. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

holy **** dude, if he wasnt lost before he is now,lol. might be a lil too much to grasp for him right now.

http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm

read this, and if you want to learn more stuff hit up their home page and look to the right side of the screen. it explains a lot more stuff too.

to answer your question. it is possible to wire multiple speakers to an amp, be it a 2ch, 4ch or 1ch amp. i once had 8 speakers on 1 2ch amp once ( 4 mids,2 tweeters and 2 subs) using some passive crossovers for the subs.

4. eviling

eviling Full Member

XD I did go a bit overboard didn't i lol, i tend to do that, its just to easy for me to understand the concepts since i'm an electrician. but if he reads it slowly, and is seriouse about getting into the car audio, i'm sure he'll pick it up in no time with that little explanation ;) nobody explained it for me like that when i got into it, so figured i like to go in depth to knock out all the small questions so they have something to reference to.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010