Formula to figure out the QTC of an enclosure?

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by FaintReality, Sep 18, 2002.

1. FaintReality

FaintReality Full Member

My question is, what is the ideal QTC in a sealed enclosure for 100% SQ with SPL not being a factor. Some say .707, others say .5. Also, are there any formulas to figure out the QTC of my enclosure. I don't want to use a box building program since they are not accurate. I am pretty sure I seen a formula to figure out the QTC, but can't remember where.

Thanks, Dave

Last edited by FaintReality at Sep 21 2002, 03:20 PM

2. Warbleed

Warbleed Full Member

The actual formula is:

Qtc = Qts X (Square Root((Vas / Vb) + 1))

Most box programs get it right, some don't.

3. FaintReality

FaintReality Full Member

I used this formula: You substitute any Qtc between 0.50 and 1.50 in place of 0.70 in both equations (both must have same value) to experiment with enclosure size. For Vas, use ft^3 not liters.

Find alpha: X = (0.70 / Qts)^2 - 1

Then calculate enclosure volume: Vb = Vas / X

After reading and speaking with Dan, I have decided to go with a QTC of .577 to achieve the best transient response, and it will make the best of my 500w rms to each Brahma (JL 500/1 amp for each 10" Brahma).

With all this stated, I substituted the .70 with .577 in the equation. I got a final Vb value of .69ft^3 to achieve a QTC of .577. Is this correct?

10" Brahma QTS=0.41
    10" Brahma Vas=.678ft^3

4. Warbleed

Warbleed Full Member

Yep, that sounds right to me.

5. FaintReality

FaintReality Full Member

I found an online calculator which gave me an enclosure volume of .691ft^3 to achieve a QTC of .577, so the formula I posted above was correct. With this in mind, I am assuming I would have to subtract 3L (0.1059ft^3) for driver displacement and for any bracing correct? The .691ft^3 is what I want to achieve once the speaker and all bracing is enclosed in the enclosure?

So, for example, if I didn't use any bracing, I would want an internal volume of .80ft^3 so that once the speaker is mounted in the enclosure I would have an internal volume of .69ft^3?

Thanks, Dave

Last edited by FaintReality at Sep 19 2002, 02:07 AM

6. Warbleed

Warbleed Full Member

That's correct.

7. Alan

Alan Full Member

lol
    man i really need to do some studying up on exactly what all these T/S specs mean..... i have a few down, but man :D