Flat?

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Civic96, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

Up until about last week I always had my LPF and HPF set to flat.
    Someone told me that the HPF is for the Comps and the LPF is for the Subs but what I noticed with my setup is that the LPF lowers the sub volume and the HPF fucks around with the speakers. Is this supposed to happen or is it b/c my subs are wired to the Hus rear outputs and not the sub outputs?

Also, How do you have your X-overs set guys?

When I used to have it on flat the bass was so damn loud it was rediculous but now its more of a background bass, still punchy ofcourse, but it just doesnt tear my car up like it used to :lmfao: :lmfao:

2. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

Heh, if you had the LPF on flat, that means your sub was trying to play vocals and everything else in the frequency spectrum. The distorted vocals was probably what you were percieving to be loud :). I'd set the LPF anywhere from 60-80 and the HPF anywhere from 40-100 depending on your setup.

3. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

I think that also explains why the Idmax was buzzing/cracking at higher volumes.....lol

The guy told me it was the voices coming through but I wasnt too sure.....you think I did any damage to the sub?

4. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

It's possible, not too likely unless you've had it like that for a long time. Just keep the LPF on from now on :). It should sound alot better now.

5. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

could that have been the problem with the Compvrs??

6. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

I had it with no LPF for a week at most and outta that week I may have blasted it like 3, but not for long periods of time.

To tell you the truth I cant even say that it sounds better with the LPF on, only quieter. With no LPF it used to get crazy loud and 90% of the time it stayed very clean with a few exceptions where the sub was playing some weird ass shit, which im guessing was the voices coming through.

I dont understand why the sub gets so much quieter when you engage the filters, can someone explain this to me?

7. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

It is very well a possibility but it was weird how only one was cracking and the other was fine.

If that whole fiasco was due to my stupidity that just simply sucks :lmfao:
    I guess the installer could have caught it but then again he might be a mongoloid so you never know.

The X-over on my amp is set to LPF, does that do anything, or does the HU override it or something? Goddamn mongoloid installed the amp in such a place that I cant take the damn cover off and see what the gains are set to. Im going back soon to have mu HU rewired and Amp re racked.

8. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

LOL!!!

You need to set your HPFs and LPFs. I think it was fairly adequately adressed above. When you set the filters you need to set them the same, or with overlap. For Example, if you set your LPF to the sub at 80, set the HPF at 80 or less for the comps. My install has the sub crossed at 65Hz and the comps at 50Hz. While many comps do not get that low comfortably, it works well with mine. However, if you set your subs to 60 and your comps to 120, you will be suffering without strength in the >60 Hz<120 Hz range

The system seemed louder because you had both the sub and front stage playing the same frequencies and thereby reinforcing each other. This is particularly evident at or around resonance in the car.

Overexcursion of the sub is not really of any concern, nor is any damage to the sub in any other way. The noises you are hearing are simply cone breakup, or the large cone's inability to recreate the higher frequencies.

The shitty selection of the HPF for the comps is very possibly damaging the comps. Bottoming the comps will be very easy at the low frequencies you are trying to reproduce. I was able to definately cause distress with my comps when I pushed it very hard with a full range install...

Set the filters appropriately. Listen to music the way it was meant to be heard ;).

9. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

Learn something new everyday!
    Quite frankly I should have learned this in the beginning but somehow missed out.

Vocals are considered what frequency?

10. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

I was dreading having to write that explanation out...Thanks taking the initiative there buddy :).

11. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

Female vocals range from 180hz to 10khz.

Male vocals range from 100hz to 8khz.

More info on what instruments play at certain frequencies can be found here http://amiga.student.utwente.nl/music/audi...yspectrum.phtml

12. stacy532

stacy532 Full Member

I once had those crappy passive crossovers that were 12db cut at 60hz on the low and a 12db slope on the highs and the funny thing is my radio had a better crossover than the ones I bought :blush:

13. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

Stacyt I find your avatar particularly amusing. It is a depiction of a marijuana leaf being broken down and then smoked. Bro you gotta smoke da buds not da leaves! B)

Im done sounding smart.....and now back to the topic at hand

:spam: :lol:

14. luvdeftonz

luvdeftonz Full Member

The frequency you choose for either filter is dependent on few things not really mentioned yet. Front stage capability, sub capability, power to both, slope of any xover's, and what effects cabin gain/cancellation will have.

Seth, your LP set higher than your HP doesn't cause any funny things to happen? I've always done it the other way around. If my sub is too powerful, I turn down the levels. My 15A (with 1500 wrms going to it) is muuuuuuuuuuuuch more powerful than my Type R comps receiving 80 per. My HP is at around 80 (12 dB/oct), with my LP at about 60 (18dB/oct). The gains are less than half, my sub preout output is at +3 out of 6, and I have cut's at various frequencies (4K, 3K, and 10K). My sub phase is reversed (passenger side mid's polarity is switched, also...giving me more output and deeper response and lowering/eliminating cancellation in the midbass region), as cancellation/loss of output occured when it was in phase. While LP and HP should never be set to flat if you have comps and a sub, finding the right xover points takes a lot of experimentation....unless you have tools such as O-scopes and RTA's (or golden ears). Anyways, I know there is more than one way to achieve seamless transition between your sub stage and front stage, setting the LP higher than the HP seemed a little odd, that's all.

:)

15. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

I generally set my HPF lower than my LPF because it tends to bring the bass up front more. Works for me, everyone's different though.

16. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

I generally set my HPF lower than my LPF because it tends to bring the bass up front more. Works for me, everyone's different though. [/b][/quote]
    hehe the last thing I need is more woofer in the front, lol

Im going to try the HPF 80 and LPF 60 but I think that will just kill the bass to tell you the truth. Do you lose a lot og punchy bass when you filter out the 60-80hz frequencies from the sub?

17. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

No funny biz at all. My fronts do keep up very well with the sub actually. May be the size of the vehicle, and the fact that the sub is in the trunk. I'm not sure why, but I find my settings to be the best in my install. Like Chris (BlkX) I found my stage to sit a bit further back in my car when I ran the same crossover frequency for sub and comps. Not too terribly bad, but noticeable. I prefer my presentation to be in front of me, not right at my face. Also, with the natural rolloff of the Brahma, I like the bit of extra punch the reinforcement of the frequencies give me. It is not enough to really become fatiguing, but it is enough to be mildly apparent. I frig around with my settings considerably to achieve the best responce. My installation is tedious...

For example I will set a tweeter angle and drive around for a while. I take careful consideration of how the system sounds as I drive the car, leg position, seating position, steering wheel position, road noise, engine noise, etc. All these things will greatly affect the quality of sound. It took me about a month of listening to get my tweeters in an established install. Ask Cort, he will tell you how much I frig around with it, but I think he will agree the presentation I have in there right now is pretty impressive.

The only processing I really use is my crossover setting. My EQ is almost flat. I have attenuated 10KHz at 1Db with a 12Db rolloff (I just couldn't level it out no matter what I did, maybe is was simple frequency absorbtion by my pantleg, I don't know), but aside from that I use no processing for daily driving.I use no bass boost, sub out is 0 (+3 sub out is a 3Db clip at 42 on the HU and that is where I set it to show it off) polarity on the sub is (for the final product) reversed, etc, etc...

18. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

Someone mentioned that the sub seemed louder b/c the LPF was not set and the voices were coming into the sub. The only problem is that the sub gets a lot quieter if I set the HPF filter not the LPF. playing around with the LPF does not change the volume of my sub, only the HPF does. Furthemore I dont think its quiter b/c of the voices are filtered out. When the HPF is set to flat the the woofer packs such a heavier punch it is not even funny. For me to achieve the same punch I have at volume 13 with the HPF on flat, it would have to be on 17 with the HPF on 80hz.

Am I just retarded? :blink:
    Or did the installer fuck something up?
    Dont say im retarded that will make me cry......again

Edit: Dont mind all the spelling mistakes, for some reason I never pay attention to what Im writing when im posting......lol

19. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

I wonder if the installer has the RCA to your sub amp connected to the rear preout instead of the sub preout...

That's some weird ish you got goin on there man.

20. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

Thats exactly what he did as I mentioned before..........Time to get that fixed lol

Once I get that fixed you are saying it will be just as loud as flat except cleaner? :wub: :jawdrop:

Another side note: I remember the installer telling me that he had no choice but to hook it up in this fashion b/c hwne he hooked it up the correct way there was static in the sound.
    What do you guys think about that?