first install please help....

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by 98jeepzj, Feb 8, 2010.

1. 98jeepzj

98jeepzj Full Member

okay so i have a jeep and im going to try and do my first install...im going to firstly replace the door speakers. then add 2 subs more speakers in the back and possibly a few tweeters...please help me...i need to know what kind of amp(s) i would need and any additional things i need to know thanks

2. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

well you need to let us know what subs and speakers your are buying. Also what is your budget for amps. Is your jeep enclosed like a grand cherokee or open air.

3. 98jeepzj

98jeepzj Full Member

i already have some speakers...i have 4 xplod 6x9s 2 xplod 6.5in and 2 xplod i believe they are 4 in...as far as subs i was going for 2 12 in most likely xplods as well and i want the best quality i can get for a reasonable price as far as amps...i dont know how much they run so im just lookin to see what i need...

4. agrimm34

agrimm34 Full Member

Well, you need to also tell the model and year of your jeep. Certain door speakers will fit right in with your car. I've done a complete Xplod set up if you want to check out my youtube channel with the link below. I'll help you through this set up but first give me the year and model of your Jeep and then we will go from there.

5. 98jeepzj

98jeepzj Full Member

it is a 98 jeep grand cherokee laredo

6. agrimm34

agrimm34 Full Member

Before we do subs lets work with your door speakers. The 98 Grand Cherokee has 2 front speakers and 2 rear speakers. Both front and rear speakers are 6 3/4 inches. The 6.5 inch xplod speakers will probably fit just fine. The 6x9's will not fit, so I recomend you buying another set of 6.5 inch speakers for the rear. Do you need more information on how to install the door speakers? Also are you planning on installing a aftermarket CD player which I highly recomend doing.

7. 98jeepzj

98jeepzj Full Member

i think i can handle the doors....and yes i am getting an aftermarket head unit

8. agrimm34

agrimm34 Full Member

When you do your door speakers make sure you use wire splices/nuts/heatshrink some type of reliable connection. After you get your door speakers in I'd go ahead and work on the head unit. Before you install the head unit, it would be easier to buy some type of amplifier kit, based on what subs and amp you plan on running, so when your headunit is out, you can go ahead and plug your RCA (signal) cables in, along with your amp turn on wire. You'll need a dash install kit, wiring harness, and I don't think a Jeep requires you to have a antenna adaptor. Walmart has these dash install kits and wiring harnesses and there pretty easy to use. Just make sure you buy the right kit/harness for your vehicle. It will tell you what it fits on the back of the package. There is some information on what you'll be doing next most likely. Just let me know when you get your door speakers in and we will move on from there. Hope this helps!!! :D

9. 98jeepzj

98jeepzj Full Member

ok thanks...that helps alot

10. 98jeepzj

98jeepzj Full Member

ok so got my speakers in...took long time been busy...but i ran into issues getting the harness from my aftermarket hu to match up with factory...ive figured out all wires except one on the aftermarket that says ANT REM and two that are positive but i dont know which is constant and which is switched like on the factory harness