First Attempt At Kick Panels. Pics Inside

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by flawlesskid, Nov 15, 2003.

1. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

Well, i finally got off my ass and attempted a set of kicks. The process wasn't as bad as i though. I could have did a better job making them look more stock, but oh well, they turned out well. These kicks house a set of MB Quart PSD-216 comps. They will be mated with a set of 7" Vifa PL's for midbass in a 3-way front stage setup. All driven by a Tru technology T4.65. The bottom end will be held up by a JL Audio 10w7 driven by a Phoenix Gold Titanium 600.2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

Very well done. How does it sound? Do you like it better? Maybe you could comment on some of the differences you notice?

Fiberglass is actually kind of fun to work with. Can't wait to see the next fiberglass project you do. I'm sure this one will motivate more out of you. :)

How about use your sub as a steering wheel, the enclosure being the steering column. :gunsmilie: Although the W7's do take a larger enclosure, so probably not. :( But talk about in-your-face-bass.

3. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

LMAO!
    That would be very interesting.. hehe

I'm loving the sound. The biggest thing right now is not having the left side domination over the stage. I haven't done a bunch of listening yet. I finished up a few minutes before going to work yesterday, so i've had about 20 minutes of time listening to some crappy music (cleaned out the car and left all the cd's home). I'll get a lot more listening in today and repot back to you guys.

4. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

I do believe it's time for a trip to Boone buddy :).

5. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

looks pretty good

altho, it looks like the drivers side kick is set really far in
    i guess u tried to get a certain volume in the enclosure?

6. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

Nah, i wasn't tryin for volume. I just made due with the space i had. There's only maybe an inch or 2 of clearance behind the mid. My second attempt will begin after the winter is out, and a lot of things will be considered that i didn't in this project.

I did a good bit of listening today now that i got the midbass going and all. It really sounds good. My stage is off a good bit from what it was during the aiming process. The right side kick is aimed directly in my face where as it was 6" forward and 2" down from my left ear when i was aiming. So, my center is farther to the right than i wanted it. Stage is lower than i wanted also. As it is now, the center is right at the air conditioning controls, which is just above the HU. Little lower than i wanted. I'm running the whole front stage off my PG 600.2 right now via the 3-way mb quart crossovers i got back from chris today. The Tru will be here Wednesday or Thursday. The midbass from the vifa's is just plain sick. I cant wait to get dedicated power to those sumbitches. The quart mids are pretty much what i expected as i've always enjoyed the midrange of them. The tweets are a bit bright now that they are closer to On-axis, but they still sound good. Overall, im very happy with this setup and cant wait to get that dub sebbin powered up and added to the equation. This should be good.

7. systempimp_1500

systempimp_1500 Full Member

Nice......very solid system indeed.

Seth was bragging to me over the phone how well you made your mbq's sound :yes:

good job.

Jeff

8. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Jeff,

Let's not go inflate Cort's Ego so much here...

9. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

Jeff,

Let's not go inflate Cort's Ego so much here... [/b][/quote]
    Oh i do believe it's too late for that :)

You gotta admit they look pretty damn good for a first attempt though.

10. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

Jeff,

Let's not go inflate Cort's Ego so much here... [/b][/quote]
    No sir, it wont be inflated till i get the tweets tuned back down. Then you'll have to poke a hole in my head to let some air out.. :lol:

11. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Got a sawzall?
    I'm sure we can get those babies flush with the stock kickpanels... ;)
    No more pods... :lol:

Actually, in all fairness, some of the things you are concerned about can be fixed with a bit of different relocation...
    Just something to consider for next attempt, maybe:

The farther out to the sides you go, the wider and more realistic your soundstage can get. I actually have seen pictures of some guys who did cut recesses into the stock unibody crevasse behind the kickpanel, to "countersink" the driver as far out as they could.

The more on-axis you fire the opposite side drivers, the lower you'll often tend to pull that side, creating that rainbow effect.. possibly also explaining that lower stage you are describing. We are definitely starting to enter the "black magic" area of speaker aiming with this one... but most guys tend to aim the speakers (visualize them as lightsabers firing out of your speaker locations :starwars: ) not directly at them - neither of them - but on axis firing across and up from each other, pathlengths passing in front of you.

Those look decent though... obviously you don't drive a stick.. :D
    That's why I did away with my kick panels in my Civic, actually... it's a 5 speed, and I autocross it. :(

12. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Cort, I've known you for 2 years or so now right? I think it is safe to say you've always needed a hole poked in your head to let the air out :blow: :lmfao: .

That was just too easy, I can't believe you left it that wide open for me...

13. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

Actually, i do drive a stick and im not gonna hesitate to try this again. I was able to do this and be able to shift comfortably. I do miss my foot rest though. It was useful while tryin to eat and drive, just drive with my knee. When time comes to try this again i think i'll ask more question. I think its a good finish though. The stage isn't terrible, but its not exactly what i wanted. I can definately deal with it though.

Oh, and seth, i think you need a much bigger needle to poke a hole in that big head of yours sir. :yes:

14. trifle

trifle Full Member

that looks pretty good....one of these years when i'm back down that way again i'll have to hear the setup

15. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Yep, try autocrossing without a dead pedal to brace against. :lol:

That's particularly the reason why I got rid of my old kicks.

They do look nice though, they look much more attractive than the kicks that I had in my Civic even.

16. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

Thanks. You just inflated my head about another 10psi. LMAO!