Finaly Got A Shop ... Now Need Input.

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by MMats4life, Dec 23, 2003.

1. MMats4life

MMats4life Full Member

Well after running my business from the house for three years, I have expanded to a shop. The location is 1400 sq ft. (400 for office/retail store display and 1000 for shop). Its located in Boca Raton Fl. 1/2 mile from Florida Atlantic University.
    Now i need to get some product lines. This is higher end shop (not super high end but not pyle and sony). So any suggestions on products we should carry? Remember this a retail store NOT online ... so brands like adire are out of the question (unless the company is willing to send me free displays to push thier products). Here are some that im thinking of getting

Alpine
    Jl Audio
    Focal
    Kicker
    Pioneer (limited)
    JVC (limited)
    Mmats

2. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

What makes you think Adire wont let you sell retail?
    Do they?
    I dont know about demo boards tho.
    those product lines sound good

3. Snausages01

Snausages01 Full Member

Memphis is big over here for the most part.
    Zapco
    Eclipse

Im sure there are more, but off the top of my head those are the ones I think would do pretty good.

4. MMats4life

MMats4life Full Member

no, thats not the problem. People dont like buying products that are unknown and i need something that will move.
    eclipse is def something i will look into, memphis does ok around here.

5. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

"high end" stuff doesnt move though.

If you want to make money you HAVE to have rockford fosgate. All of the uninformed kiddies eat it up like candy.

I would look into infinity and image dynamics as well.

6. josh99ta

josh99ta Full Member

Just a few brands off the top of my head, I think of one company's subs being awesome and another's amps being great, but I'll just throw out some company names...

Alpine
    Pioneer
    Clarion
    Kenwood
    Eclipse
    Memphis
    JL Audio
    Kicker
    Phoenix Gold
    Nakamichi
    Image Dynamics
    Focal

Some have been mentioned, some havent. All have semi-high end, quality equipment.

7. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

fugyaself is right. Just selling higher end stuff usually wont work. Cheap stuff moves a lot faster, and makes you more money. Another problem is that the higer end brands will require a very high buy-in, and expect you to order a certain amount of equipment in a year to keep your dealership. And many companies limit where dealers can be located so two shops aren't competing with their equipment. This will limit what you can get.

Honestly, Sony offers very inexpensive, but decent performing amplifiers for your customers. So I wouldn't necessarily rule them out completely.

I'd recomend having low, mid, and high end equipment. Now I'm not saying to sell Jensen or anything. You don't want equipment with a 60% failure rate as that can effect your business as well.

Good luck!!!!!

8. ScottS

ScottS Full Member

Well this is what we sell at our shop In order of the most money made off product each month

Mobile TV
    Planet Audio
    Ample Audio
    Crime Stopper
    Custom Boxes
    Clarion
    Pioneer
    Pheonix Gold
    JVC
    Focal
    Audison
    MMats

Now what brings people in?
    Pioneer
    Clarion
    Pheonix GOLD
    Custom Boxes
    Alarms

Notice how the higest end is down at the bottom of our most sold list?

We love planet audio at our shop. One word Bullet proof. All Woofers 3 year warrenty installed. All Amps 5 year warrenty installed. 50 points mark-up sometimes more if you wish. Great prices. And amps do what they say. Please feel free to contact me if you need any contact info for any piece of product you need. I can normally find someone. Rember i used to be from IN so i know alot of distributors.

Scott Stoner

9. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

You dont have to carry all Brand Name Products

the NUMBER ONE mistake new Shops make is Taking on TOOO much

pick FIVE brand names MAX to carry at first

have you contacted any of the brands yet?

Do you have the Capitial to make the Open Order for more than 5 Brands?

This is where the No Names come in big, normall they have a Lower Buy in, For Instance to be a Auhtoirzed Premier Dealer there is a $25,000 buy in

JL is $10,000

Kiccer is $10,000 (I think)

etc

Adire will probally see you one of each and be happy to have you as a dealer

it is YOUR job it sell them,, and Trust me they will be easy to sell once word of moth gets around

JL and Kicker will get them in your store, LOW PRICED quality products will keep them coming back ;)

10. FocalEnthusiast

FocalEnthusiast Full Member

How about AudioControl? They've got pretty unique products, and people love them. You just have to make sure the people know it will help there system. They're pretty awesome people there at AC too, I got to chat with two of them when they came to show offf the DQX last summer at a local shop. I've got the one's card, he's an awesome guy, out of Portland.

Greg Hayenga
    (425) 775-8461

Gregh@audiocontrol.com

Everything else sounds good, think about PLanet Audio, people around us in buffalo love the cheap price, and pretty snazzy appearance.

BTW, How far is Boca Raton from Miami. I'm moving down to Miami in August, I would love to check out the shop.

11. DanWiggins

DanWiggins Full Member

Contact Chris Brunhaver here at Adire (cbrunhaver at adireaudio dot com). He's in charge of OEM sales and our dealer network. You may be surprised...;)

And I'd second the AudioControl gear, too. Good stuff, nice company, and another of us NW audio companies (along with Carver, Carver Pro, Phoenix Gold, AudioSource, Mackie, Rane, Symetrix, and several more).

Dan Wiggins
    Adire Audio

12. MMats4life

MMats4life Full Member

yes, audio control sounds good. I need some stuff for the demo car anyways.
    Depending on what part of miami and the freeking traffic, boca is only 25min to an hour away.

Just to give you guys a little info about Boca, there is lots of money there and its expensive to live there. Most kids that are shopping have credit cards that "dad's" paying for. So pricing is not the biggest issue. People in this city will pay a premium for good service.

13. MMats4life

MMats4life Full Member

yes, audio control sounds good. I need some stuff for the demo car anyways.
    Depending on what part of miami and the freeking traffic, boca is only 25min to an hour away.

Just to give you guys a little info about Boca, there is lots of money there and its expensive to live there. Most kids that are shopping have credit cards that "dad's" paying for. So pricing is not the biggest issue. People in this city will pay a premium for good service. [/b][/quote]
    thanks dan, will you guys be at CES?

14. TalNLnky

TalNLnky Full Member

my advice, and i don't know if anybody has said it yet.... BUT... get brands that are hard to find online.. stuff like Eclipse, Crossfire, Focal, this will help keep kids from coming in your shop, playing with the display models and then buying it from some site even tho you answered every dumb question they had.

15. Feandil

Feandil Full Member

I'd suggest like was said earlier... stick to five brands....

These are the order I'd choose. B/C some kids don't have the $$$ for Zapco and Eclipse. The brands are from low quality to high quality. That way you can have a variety for a variety of consumers.

Pioneer
    Kicker
    JL
    Eclipse
    Adire

Maybe through in RF and MTX just because they will sell well. RF is a god to most uninformed...

Everyone loves Pioneer Kicker and JL. Lots love Eclipse Alums... And Adire can be the big shocker line that know ones ever heard of before... but when they here it for the first time....
    :jawdrop: All the bass heads will love the Brahma.... ;)

16. Feandil

Feandil Full Member

If he wants hard to find online brands... look into Cadence.... Damn near impossible to find their amps online ;)

17. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

if this is a major concern you might as well not get in to this business

75% or more of car audio is still purchased on the local Level, believe it or not...

Reason Being the vast Majority of people do still get the stuff install, they have newer cars and dont want to mess with the comlications alot of new cars deal with

or dont want to be respossible if they screw something up

Like I have tried to Explain to a number of brands, the Online Demographic and the Local Demogrphic are totally differant market shares

the people Buying online are not normally the people shopping in the stores.

I will not even step foot in any of the local shops, or most stores for that matter

I buy roughly 90% of the stuff (car audio or not) online, No Lines, No Hassles, no Wated time or gas

I see what I want, Input a Few numbers and 3 days later the Brown Truck roles up

it is Great B)

18. MMats4life

MMats4life Full Member

mike is right... those who buy online are mostly DIY's and are looking to save every buck... not the customers i want to target. I want the people who keep coming back to spend more and upgrade to something better. Most of my money is made from installations. Customer service is key, esp in retail when 80% of business is coming from prior customers. I have had many people start off with a simple basic headunit ($150 sale). Then within a year, they get an alarm, speakers, better hu... etc. and keep coming back.

OK what about this... i was thinking about selling custom enclosures online and shipping them (not just wood but fiberglass etc) .. but i dont want locals getting enclosure quotes online. So im debating this one.

19. DanWiggins

DanWiggins Full Member

thanks dan, will you guys be at CES? [/b][/quote]
    Alexis Park, suite 2302. Over in the high end audio section (we do home, pro, car and OEM audio).

Dan Wiggins
    Adire Audio

20. MMats4life

MMats4life Full Member

thanks... i will be stopping by to see what you have to offer.