External crossovers

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Civic96, Oct 19, 2002.

1. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

Im planning on gettin a JBL 600.1 and from what I hear the crossovers are piss poor and voices bleed through the subs.
    How much do external crossovers go for?
    I have a Sony Xplod 650X HU and supposedly you can tune the fequencies fairly well but Im not that good with caraudio so I dont know if that means anything.

2. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Don't buy a 600.1. Spend a bit more and get an amp with features, rather than spending MORE for the amp AND a crossover. I got to play with a 1200.1 this weekend and I was NOT impressed, as far as the features go. It seemed good and powerful, it just felt cheap...

3. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

Im open to suggestions but I need a 1 ohm stable amp b/c i have a pair of 4 ohm subs. It needs to give each 300W.

4. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

You have a pair of 4 ohm subs and you need a 1 ohm amp? Refigure your math. You need a 2 ohm stable amp my friend.

Z5000
    Z9000

5. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

he has a pair of DVC 4ohm subs

Kicker compVr's to be exact

thus yeilding a 4ohm mono or 1ohm mono load......

Last edited by Michael at Oct 20 2002, 07:09 AM

6. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Ahhh!!! I was trying to figure where the 1 ohm deal was coming from...

7. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

The only thing I found wrong with the crossover was that it was only marked at the begining and at the end. Thus making it really hard to set the crossover (especially since the knob turns two times). Other than getting it set it works fine. Nothing comes through that isnt supposed to. I recently set the crossover in my head unit for the subs. It works alright but I found that it dosent catch everything. That can be solved by getting the jbl's crossover to the general frequency that you are going for and then adjusting the hu's crossover.

I Agree with Sandt though. I would spend the extra money and just get a better amp. But if you dont have the money period you can do what I explained above.

Last edited by Honest Bob at Oct 20 2002, 10:48 AM

8. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

I have an Xplod 650X HU and Im not sure if it has the crossover thingy in it. It would be cool if you one of you guys can check that for me. As off now Im open to suggestions for an amp. If external crossovers are a must I might as well spend a little more for an amp.

9. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

Look in your manual. It should say something like "adjustable crossover". I cant seem to find anything on your head unit.

10. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

Its called the CDX-650X. The only thing I see is RCA preout x2 for extra amplifier. There are tone controls Bass -10db at 62kHZ, Treble -10db at 16kHZ.

Other than that I dont see anything.
    Arrrrr..........

11. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

I dont think your head unit has a crossover then. Middle of the line hu's usually dont have them.

12. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

Sonnavabitch!

:angry:

I just cant win......God is against me!
    Damn you!!!!!!!!!

13. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

So basically
    A. I buy another HU
    B. Buy the JBL and external Crossovers
    C. Buy another amp
    D. Buy a JBL and live with the consequences........how bad are they anyways?
    E. Keep staring at the Britney Spears posters since they are the only thing keeping my life together

14. jstutman

jstutman Full Member

i believe this is the correct answer.

your welcome :bs:

15. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

Ummm.. how about the JBL and making a passive crossover?
    The JBL is a bitch to get the crossover setup, but how many times do you go around readusting your crossover settings?

Last edited by Honest Bob at Oct 20 2002, 06:35 PM

16. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

can u elaborate? :huh:

17. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

I only know what they do. I dont know much about making them . I am shure someone else can explain :)

18. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

I dont even know what they are and how much they go for...... ;)
    Should I post this on CAF?

19. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

They cost like next to nothing. How ever much the inductor or capacitor costs.

20. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member