e15SP installed tonite...less than ideal enclosure

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by edesignSPL, Oct 11, 2002.

1. edesignSPL

edesignSPL Full Member

well...after hearing it mostly freeair with 200W last nite i had to hook it up ASAP.

It's in the exact same box the 9515 was in...13 cubes after displacement, 256in^2 port area, tuned to 40Hz (give or take a few Hz)

main difference was power, due to the coil configurations on each sub (DD was a dual 2, SP is dual 4) and the amps i am using which are two Rockford Fosgate Type RF X7's (1300W @ 2 ohm @ 12.6V). The DD had 2600W going to it, but i only had one amp on the SP so it got 1300W.

First thing i noticed, i mean it was IMMEDIATELY apparent, was that the SQ on the SP destroyed the DD in that particular box. I had two 3515's last fall in 5 cubes each and they sounded pretty good, not too too boomy, but the SP still sounds better than them.

As Warbleed (Kurt) had said...this is a subwoofer, not a midbass and he was right. Low bass is awesome and very defined but the high bass, around 55-60Hz and up it faded very fast. Since most of you are bassheads here, three six mafia's "late nite tip" where it goes from the looow bass to that quick trip into some higher bass for a few seconds (three notes progressively going higher)...the SP didn't reproduce em. This may have been due to the xover (24dB/oct butterworth on the X7), i had turned it down to clean up the output some...the midbass i was gettin was kinda muddy sounding. I am gonna play with it some more and see...

But when it came to 50Hz and down...plain mean. 30Hz at full tilt i couldn't detect any distortion, no bottoming...even on sweeps it didn't. Bass mekanik V5.0, track 19 where it starts at 1Hz and sweeps upwards...subsonic filter was on but at about 10hz or so the sub was moving a looong way, i'd say close to 2" p-p. Maybe the faintest hint of something hittin (ben said prob the basket as it can't bottom out on the VC, spider might hit the basket tho), but barely perceptible remember the box it's in too

The DD was hating life when that would happen, even with less than the full 2600W. In fact...not sure how much poewr this would be. At one point i had the amps hooked up wrong (bridged to a 4ohm load) so only one amp was receiving signal input. The 9515 even with that still didn't care for that kinda abuse at all. Can't think of many subs that would in fairness

With the SP i was noticing bass in music that i had NEVER heard before on any other systems. The song that it really hit me on was Bush's "Glycerine". The first time the bass guitar comes in it's a higher bass note. Well, all the other systems i have had and heard the next two notes always sounded higher. With the SP, i had to rewind it four times to make sure i was hearing right lol. Those two notes go deeper than the first!

But like i said...that box is large for either sub and i am gonna try to reduce it to at LEAST 10 cubes. The dimensions on it wont' allow me to easily reduce the volume without some major work and since i am plannin on gettin a different vehicle soon i don't wanna waste too much time with this one. Also will tune lower...

anyway...bottom line, the SP plays low as hell and loves 1300W, can't wait to put 9600W on 4 of em SQ is very very good, SPL it has potential. At 45hz or so on track 6 of the USACi comp disc (old brown one, Silicon Bass is the name of the track) it peaked pretty hard, just needed more power. If i had another 1300 to throw on it i honestly believe it woulda hung with the 9515. Not sure on if it woulda got louder but the potential is definitely there to keep up and more

Gotta brace the port better this weekend, rattles like a 6 month old havin a seizure lol

peace guys!