Dual spider designs

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by sandt38, Aug 31, 2002.

1. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I've been doing some research lately and have come to a point of, well confusion.

Dual spider designs are rather rare, yet to me, seem most effective for use in high output/high SQ designs.

My thought is the VAS rising so much higher makes for an unrealisticaly small sealed enclosure, but is this correct? I mean, weaken the spiders some and we have a sweet small sealed enclosure ideal for automotive use.

Why is it that the suspension cannot become more compliant, overall, through softer spiders? I guess overall isn't a good choice of words, but proportional maybe. It seems to me that linear increases, thanks to a dual spider design, can be huge, and the simple fact that it can maintain it's linearity throughout a greater cone excursion thanks to the mechanical assistance of such a design could yeild HUGE benefits (in sealed enclosures). I continue to express sealed as I have yet to find a ported enclosure that I consider SQ oriented. Could it be due to the fact that a more compliant spider reduces the seemingly ideal affect it has on linearity thanks to it's compliance? Still it would seem to me that it MUST have a beneficial affect on driver linearity. Maybe if my thoughts on the reduction of the mechanical affect it may have holds true, stiffening the spiders to a point where they have the affect desired should be realistic enough to make it feasible right? Think of a tiny ass sealed enclosure with a truely high excursion, totaly linear driver. Makes me cream my jeans...

Any input?

2. trifle

trifle Full Member

makes sense to me...multiple spiders are popping up here and there, i think elemental has implemented them on the sp series, they have a damn high vas if i remember right it's 158.5 or something check the site though, and seem to model well in small boxes for a massive sub....

trying to see what you're getting at with the spider stiffness, i think basically what you're saying is that if you decrease the stiffness, but not enough to affect the linearity, so that it didn't "hold back" the motor/excursion...you'd have a higher VAS and longer throw which would be obviously beneficial? and going out on a limb, having multiple more "loose" spiders keeping it linear as opposed to a single stiff one? and finding the "compromise point" between number of spiders and stiffness of each?

if that's what you're saying...ya damn straight, not quite sure how stiff the spiders on today's drivers are compared to what they could be....but quite an interesting idea, and something worth noting to manufacturers if they aren't already working on stuff like this....

3. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

well I am far from a sub designer

but there are many thing that could be implemented IMO to accomplish your gaol

one of which is to use multiple "progressive" spiders.......

unless i am not understanding what your saying

4. bigsexxxy69

bigsexxxy69 Full Member

beyond audio in humans and the new shockers have multiple spiders :D

5. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Product Fs Qts Vas Qes Qms SPL BL Re Le Mm

18" Quad INHUMAN
    (triple spider) 39.29 .8838 2.464 1.02 6.4537 88 20.75 3.89 6.6179 458

Triple spider? Uhh, I wish I could see one!!!!

6. Regal1975

Regal1975 Full Member

also keep in mind that many of the subs that have multiple spiders do so simply to allow a stiffer suspension... DD uses several spiders, all of them glued together.. so n oreal added linearity there.. but it does allow for a woofer that handles gobs of power and has a fairly high fs, helping for spl...the treo csx uses 4 spiders, 2 groups of 2 about 1/4" apart... and DD claims to use 7 spiders on the 9500, though rumor has it they use from 4-6, all of them glued together in the same spot..

7. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I didn't realise that Regal. I was thinking like an upper and lower spider, say for a rough example, one in the normal location, and one at the other end of the coil. See what I mean? Maybe the rise in Fs you pointed out is why it isn't used in SQ applications. I never considered that.

Last edited by sandt38 at Sep 2 2002, 07:39 AM

8. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

By the way Regal, pardon my ignorance, but who the fuck is that guy in your avatar?

9. DanWiggins

DanWiggins Full Member

The 9515 suspension I saw had one Nomex spider on the bottom, and 6 cheap chinese linen spiders stacked on top of it. Tinsel leads were run out in-between the spiders. All were squished together to make one "thick" spider.

Multiple spiders can be an advantage if rocking is a concern; however, it is NOT an advantage from a linearity or SQ standpoint; with multiple spiders, your resulting Cms curve is the product of all the spiders. Any problem in one spider is carried on to the resulting final value. Thus you don't get the "best" of each spider, but rather the "worst" of each spider, from a Cms standpoint (stiffest spider dominates).

Multiple spiders do offer extremely stiff suspensions, which as Regal points out is a great thing from an SPL standpoint. If that's all you're after, dual or triple (or more) spiders can be a good thing. It doesn't help linearity at all, though. And significantly limits what you can do with the rest of the parameters (Fs, Qes, etc).

Dan Wiggins
    Adire Audio

10. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

OK...

*puts gun in mouth and pulls trigger*

11. Warbleed

Warbleed Full Member

The 9515 suspension I saw had one Nomex spider on the bottom, and 6 cheap chinese linen spiders stacked on top of it. Tinsel leads were run out in-between the spiders. All were squished together to make one "thick" spider.

Multiple spiders can be an advantage if rocking is a concern; however, it is NOT an advantage from a linearity or SQ standpoint; with multiple spiders, your resulting Cms curve is the product of all the spiders. Any problem in one spider is carried on to the resulting final value. Thus you don't get the "best" of each spider, but rather the "worst" of each spider, from a Cms standpoint (stiffest spider dominates).

Multiple spiders do offer extremely stiff suspensions, which as Regal points out is a great thing from an SPL standpoint. If that's all you're after, dual or triple (or more) spiders can be a good thing. It doesn't help linearity at all, though. And significantly limits what you can do with the rest of the parameters (Fs, Qes, etc).

Dan Wiggins
    Adire Audio[/b][/quote]
    Exactly, Dan! I honestly don't see why people get so excited over stiff suspensions. From my perspective, I personally prefer the most compliant suspension possible for a given application. If it yields the results you want, there's no need to go overboard and make it super stiff. I see many designs where the ideal box is small to the point of absurdity. NOTHING is really gained by that, save perhaps maximum mechanical powerhandling (of course you trade efficiency in the first place for it being more stiff), so that singular advantage isn't even that great.

There's also no point in putting in a second spider if it isn't needed. DD's case, which Dan mentioned, is a uniquely bizarre one. Gluing together a bunch of shitty spiders instead of just using a single or perhaps two good spiders is hardly a good way to design a subwoofer. There is also absolutely no advantage to having them all glued together in a big chunk. I think that's rather deceptive marketing to even say that the driver has multiple spiders, since I believe most people assume that means seperate spiders (since this is the case in just about every other subwoofer design ever made).

12. Warbleed

Warbleed Full Member

I would also submit that having a high Fs isn't necessarily ideal for SPL. If you have a lower Fs, it's actually much easier to get it to peak when you tune well above it. This pays off far more so with SQ apps, allowing for much better extension and lower group delay.

Model up the 15SP, for instance. Now despite it's "high Vas" and rather low Fs, look what happens when you tune it high. It peaks like holy hell...and without sacrificing efficiency, and more importantly, without having its balls cut off when it comes to low bass.

13. Warbleed

Warbleed Full Member

Have you ever seen or heard an Inhuman in person? They are absolutely awful for anything except SPL. That Qts is so high it's basically to the point of being utterly useless for SQ. It would be horrifcly boomy and peaky in any ported enclosure, and the ideal sealed enclosure is nothing short of gigantic.

IMO, the Inhuman is a perfect example of all the negative things that stiff suspensions can get for you. Now they do well in SPL competition, not because the suspension is stiff, but because the driver has a bigger peak than Mount Everest in anything resembling a sanely sized enclosure.

14. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Have you ever seen or heard an Inhuman in person? They are absolutely awful for anything except SPL. That Qts is so high it's basically to the point of being utterly useless for SQ. It would be horrifcly boomy and peaky in any ported enclosure, and the ideal sealed enclosure is nothing short of gigantic.

IMO, the Inhuman is a perfect example of all the negative things that stiff suspensions can get for you. Now they do well in SPL competition, not because the suspension is stiff, but because the driver has a bigger peak than Mount Everest in anything resembling a sanely sized enclosure.[/b][/quote]
    I've heard the same. Impressive #s in comps though. It's just the design that intrigues me. I'd love to see 1 torn down...

15. sundownz

sundownz Full Member

At the nSPL comp I went to over the weekend I got to mess with some blown up MTX RFL pieces. The spider and coil were still attached so I got to see how stiff it was. It was absurdly stiff, I could barely push the coil. Is this stiff suspension what gives the RFL the high Fs? Just wondering... it would TAKE alot of power to get that thing to even move, is this somehow advantagous in an SPL comp??

16. Warbleed

Warbleed Full Member

The lower the Vas, the more mass is required to achieve the same Fs., so yes, basically, that's what gives it the high Fs.

17. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

War,

You state that a high FS isn't nessicarily beneficial in SPL set ups. I always thought that with the FS being closer to a typical port tune of an SPL vehicle that is also close to the resonant frequency of the vehicle would all work together benefiting a typical peak at 45-55Hz.

I think I understand your stating the higher FS would be better suited for some SQ apps, but I assume you mean to the average listeners ear. The average listener prefers a peak at higher frequencies than a seasoned SQ listener who tends to prefer a flatter responce.

2 questions.

From, the first paragraph...Can you explain why my assumptions are wrong with all these factors working together, or is my assumption correct? I am confused at what you are getting at with that statement.

Am I correct in my second assumption, or is there something you can add to clarify that for me?

Thanks

18. trifle

trifle Full Member

I LOVE THREADS LIKE THIS!

19. Warbleed

Warbleed Full Member

I'll try and address them all:

1) Dual spider designs ARE utilized in many SQ oriented drivers, be they sealed or ported. They are not inherently better, however. If the driver doesn't NEED a 2nd spider, then there really is no point in adding one. It's easier to get one spider to behave how you want than 2.

2) Having a low Vas is not necessarily even beneficial. You want it as low as necessary for the application, and that is all. Since Vas is perhaps one of the easiest (and usually the cheapest) aspect to change, it's easy to tailor a design to a specific application with it. Say you slightly overmotor the sub a bit, you can try and accomodate for that by making the suspension slightly more compliant. It wouldn't make up for any lost extension, but you can gain back some efficiency if you ended up with an ideal box that is much smaller than the application requires.

3) As far as Fs, I don't think a higher Fs would be suited to SQ apps at all. A lower Fs translates to a lower F3, so honestly I wouldn't want it to be very high.

You are actually kind of contradicting yourself here. Increasing the Vas would make the ideal sealed enclosure larger, not smaller. Weakening the spiders would, again, make the ideal enclosure larger, so I'm not quite sure that I see what your point is here.

It can. Many companies make excessively stiff suspensions because they seem to think it's somehow beneficial to the design. As said above, dual spiders don't necessarily mean better linearity. There's no point in chucking on an extra spider if a single spider is fully capable of keeping the driver linear. Just makes optimizing the suspension more difficult.

Heavy mechanical resistance is generally not critical in sealed boxes, since the box's airspring helps supply a lot of the restoring force. If heavier resistance was all that was required, then you could just accomplish it with a stiffer spider.

It's really not that difficult to make a high excursion driver that is ideal for sealed box use. One thing that you are forgetting is that Vas is not the ONLY factor in box size. Qts plays a huge rule as well, and unlike Vas, also affects the driver's extension.

Personally, I would actually prefer to use the most compliant suspension possible to achieve the design goals I had, as this would result in higher efficiency without sacrificing low frequency extension.

20. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood you on the first point. It really didn't make sense to me, but I tried to look around what I took the statement as meaning.

On the second point I quoted, Ooops :p . I had a bit too much to drink and I stated it backwards :dunno:

Anyways, thanks for clarifying that to me.