Driving 300W speakers

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Speakers' started by cool9, Jun 29, 2006.

1. cool9

cool9 Full Member

Just bought Infinity 9613i 6x9 (2-100 RMS Watts, 300 W Max) for the rear. They seem hard to drive. I have a Kenwood 400 Watt amp (driving rear and front) and a Pyle 4-band parametric equalizer. And I can't get decent midrange, the equalizer sounds bad (it's real sensitive) when you raise the midrange so I keep it low. The equalizer isn't that bad though. I had Kenwood 6x9s, I had no problem getting sound out of them and they were pretty good. I raised the input sensitivity a bit on the amp and the Infinity's came alive a little. Any suggestions to get some good sound out of this?

2. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Try removing the equalizer and see what happens...also 4 bands IMO isn't worth it. Good head units have more than 4 bands of equalization.

3. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Everyone here knows my opinion of Infinity speakers. They don't impress me that much. But I agree with aznboi3644. The EQ is a waste. We needed them in the 70's and the 80's (yes that 1970 and 1980 and yes I was alive back then). Radios in those days were pretty bad. Name brand radios today are really quite good.

Sound Quality is subjective, if you like the sound of the Kenwoods better stay with them.

4. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

A paraetric EQ can be a devastaing tool in the hands of someone who does not understand how to use it!!!

As stated by otheres, bypass it and see how things sound,

5. cool9

cool9 Full Member

My head unit (Alpine) only has bass/treble. 4-bands has to be better than that. I think the equalizer improved my sound when I installed it. Maybe I need a better made equalizer. The Pyle was $30 retail. Parametric equalizers are suppose to be more versatile than a passive equalizer. Infinity cones are made of the best materials.

6. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

4 bands really isnt worth it...Have you tried disconnecting it?

Also it is a Pyle and Pyle is a crap company...sorry

Did you hook the Pyle up when you installed everything or have you ever heard the music straight from the deck?

Could be that you were "looking" for a change in sound quality and it is your imagination...or the placebo affect.

7. basshead4life56

basshead4life56 Full Member

4 channel amp

why dont you use a 4 channel amp it thats what i use i use a exterminator 800.4 US AMP its the best sound i have ever heard besides the $10,000 dollar ZAPCO components and im just runnin 5 1.4 db drive speed serries and they are jus as good as diamond and maybe even rainbow

joel:eek:

8. weird22person

weird22person Full Member

He does have a 4 channel. The 4 bands refers to the frenquency range on the equalizer.

9. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Cool9 your taking a while so just disconnect the equalizer and see how it sounds.

Then get back to us.