Doing sounddeadening tests... need EVERYONES help

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by The_spacemonkey, Apr 17, 2003.

1. The_spacemonkey

The_spacemonkey Full Member

This is origionlly posted at CAF, but I thought I would post it here as well. There has been good response so far. Thanks for lookin!

Ok here is the deal. Ive read so many "what is the best sounddeadener?" threads recently its making my head loopy. Now being that I work in an R&D lab as a chem engineer, and do sounddeadener testing all the time.... I deided to put this to good use. I want to do a cumulative test on any sounddeadeners I can get my hands on. The problem is it gets expensive buying a whole roll of multiple deadeners when I need less than a square foot of each. Here is where you guys come in. I need any sound deadener you guys can spare. I dont care if it is little pieces of scrap. I would be willing to pay anyone who is willing to give up a square foot $2 for it. But any contributions(no matter how small, a 6cmx6cm piece would even be helpful) would be extremely helpful.

I plan to write a full digression on the results, and post my essay here. I plan to test:
    Heat resistance
    Cold resistance
    Solids retention(VOC's)
    NVH testing(Nominal Vibration Harshness)
    Sound Absorbtion
    Sound reflection
    Density
    Adhesion
    Flexability
    Scent

And there are a couple more if I get time. For the adhesion tests, I plan to test in multiple positions(upsidedown, vertical ect), at different temperatures, and I even hope to do some high humidity adhesion tests. For the VOC's I will do a basic test for VOC's, but without their formulation, I cannot differentiate between VOCs that are harmful and those that are not(I can however detect some harmful ones without the formula). I plan on doing tests with both heat gun applied and non heat gun applied materials.

So thats it. Anyone with any brand of aftermarket sounddeadners or even the roofing products that seem to be so popular, I would appreciate even a small sqare(Ill even pay shipping if you want me too). I can only do as many tests as material I recieve, but I should be able to accomplish all of the above tasks with under a square foot.

I already have second skin, and OEM constrained layer(this will be our controll) sounddeadeners.

Thanks guys, shoot me a PM if your interested. I hope we can finally decide which are the best and which are the best for the price.

2. Snausages01

Snausages01 Full Member

Awwe man I wish I woulda seen this last week before I threw away all the extra Stormguard I had. :( BUT I may have some somewhere, I take a look later today.tomarow, whatever you wanna call it ;).

3. trifle

trifle Full Member

man, i wish i had some for you....if i run across any i'll send some

oh yeah, for another control, you could try the sand packs that lexus, etc uses

4. Snausages01

Snausages01 Full Member

Got an odd ball shaped piece I would think it would be enough for your test but I'm not really sure. I'm more than happy to send it. Just let me know where to send it, and I will put it in the mail as soon as I get a chance.

5. The_spacemonkey

thanks man, but I have plenty of stormguard on the way already. Thanks for the help though.

6. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I got some B-quiet extreem and some peel-n-seal in the garage. I can get some E-dead too. I don't care for money, just cover the shipping.

7. ASM

ASM Full Member

I have eDead v2 . I'm with Seth, just cover shipping and I could send some.

8. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

If anyone is willing to send me sound deadner I will gladly pay for shipping :D

9. The_spacemonkey

I do believe Im set on the edead right now(let me see if everyone who has volunteered stuff actually sends some). Once I get a tally of what has been sent, Ill post what I got so far, and get in contact with some manufacturers and see if I can get some samples of what I still need sent to me.