doing new install...need some opinions

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Audio Nut, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Audio Nut

Audio Nut Full Member

my car is in the shop for two more weeks and i have to drive my girls car yo work(20 min drive) and she has a 2002 honda civic STOCK radio...it sucks...really so today i concluded after i get my car back shes gettin a system...it may be as good if not better then mine

im thinking about using a jbl 1200.1(cheap)...or a cadence a7(1500 watts)

at first i was thinking...3 xtant hexagon 12's...but 900 for 3 subs sounded rather expensive...

then i was thinking about an idmax 12...paired with the jbl amp....think it would be a great combo...yet i also wanted some 'wow factor'

so i was thinking....3 15 inch comp vrs....givem 500 a piece...id have the wow factor...plus tons of power...

she wants to still have a trunk but...does that really matter once she hears it??? =O)

also was thinking 3 alpine type r 15's....

front speakers...may be bostons...or jl audio(XR) 5 1/4's (gotta make a place for the tweeters tho)

but am most definitly set on the JL line of amp for fronts...now the question is 150/2....or 300/4

as for a head unit...im going to keep her stock head...run the signal through a cadence eq/line driver for anti-theft purposes(which ill probably do that for my neon as well cuz i see people eyein my shit)....secondly would that sound ok....what about sq???

thanks for any and all opinions...

p.s. the only thing thats ruled out is the xtant subs im not spending 900 bucks on subs....lol

2. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

if you post here you have to buy from me :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

Just joking

I would not get the JBHELL if I were you

what is your total Budget???

3. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

Heh, JL amps offer some of the best features on the market Mike. They are bandwagon, but you can't deny the quality.

I'd definitely take Cadence over the JBL though. I've heard too many horror stories with the JBL amp.

4. squatchie

squatchie Full Member

:ph34r:

If you want any trunk (any) use two Kicker Comp VR's, maybe even 12's, and get a big box. Im not thinking an '02 civic has the proper room for 2 15's, much less 3 to make them really pound. And i do not like the IDMAX, it sounds nice and clean, but the enclosure size and power needed to really make them thump sucks.

IMO, i like the Boston's up front over the JL's....but i havent heard a lot of JL's. The 150/2 should be a little cheaper, although with the 300/4 you could amp the 5.25" and the tweets seperately and not mess with the crossover they send with it.

If your running your stuff thru an EQ your taking a digital signal from the HU, and changing it to analog. Then your sending that changed analog signal from your EQ to your amp. Then your amp amplifies the changed analog signal from the EQ. As well as doing that, the crossovers on the amp filter out (read change) the signal again. THEN its sent to you speakers, but before you get there the crossover provided for the components changes the signal again to send the proper signal to each speaker. Each time you change an analog signal, distortion is added. Start from a factory head, and by the time you get to the speakers, your signal is not so clean.

Im all about replaceing the HU, and doing all the crossovers for each speakers at the amp. Another, more expensive option, is getting a pretty nice HU, digital EQ, nice amp, and a nice install.

ANd JBL amps are weak.

:ph34r:

5. NaStYsTaNg05

NaStYsTaNg05 Full Member

only thing i didnt like about the cadence Z7000 was it loved power.LOL but sounded great!!!!!! i think thats the amp your talking about 1500watts at 1 ohm. the AH+7C puts out 1200watts which is what im looking at geting now. the jbl is great for sealed boxed subs but for ported it has NO FEATURES....... the cadence has everything needed.
    and if that sytstem wont beat yours. my question is what you runnen?LOL and do you wanna drive my car to work for awhile and upgrade my interior speakers.LOL

6. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Actually they were upgraded to 1400 watts, as they were putting out ~1436. I like the A7, and also reccomend you check out the BEtter Audio 1600M1. At a $325 special price (untill the 31st!!!) it is unstoppable.

7. Audio Nut

Audio Nut Full Member

yeah well i have 400 bucks to cough up within the next week and a half which i dont have for the deductible...if you could extend that sale to april 31st....id be sold...yet i was thinking for a girl car...that may be a little to much power...im thinking of trying to do an sq system for it...making custom tweets in the doors...but i mean...she has 5 1/4's in her door panels...so i dont know
    to be frank the stock system in the neons are one of loudest stock stereos ive heard...or i dunno...i may look into the jbl amp...i mean...i dont like ported anyways...because every application ive heard...they were sloppy...and i like low bass...yet i want the bass to thump with the kick drums in rock music...*shruggz*

hey sandt...what u willin to give me for this xbox??

=O)

8. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I personally don't want the Xbox, but I have a couple friends who do. I thought they would have gotten in touch with you about it. You wanted the 6.5 in Neos right?

Lemme know, I'll ask them again.

9. trifle

trifle Full Member

if you think about it...you're only gonna have your girl's car for a bit longer....she's probably not gonna wanna shake everything within 200 feet of her (if she does, disregard this whole post)

get an IDQ v.2 (elemental k, etc etc etc) and 400 watts....

10. Audio Nut

Audio Nut Full Member

word....i think your right...guess im going through bass withdrawl...i will look into that though...besides...shes the type that she love to brag...tho she could have one of the loudest bitch cars around...

hmmm

i like it =)

*shruggz*

thanks for pointing that out tho