Disadvantages to wiring power windows to constant power?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by superman, May 20, 2002.

1. superman

superman Guest

I want to be able to use power windows without having ignition on, would there be any disadvantages to this? I can't see any problems with security, since power door locks are constant power, so why shouldn't I wire my futured door's power windows to a constant power?

2. sismit

sismit Full Member

I can't think of any reasons why not....I don't know how much power window motors suck up though, you might could possibly drain your battery if you play with them too much with the car off....

3. jlylereeves

jlylereeves Full Member

no prob, should'nt be any draw until the button is pushed, and you'd have to play for days with you your windows to kill your batt

4. zabooza

zabooza Full Member

you should be fine.

5. superman

superman Guest

Ok, so why do you guys think that power windows aren't hooked up to a constant in the first place?:wtf:

6. zabooza

zabooza Full Member

idiocy?

7. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

anti-theft?

8. superman

superman Guest

how would this be anti theft, power locks are wired to a constant power.

9. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

thats why they are not done that way

10. superman

superman Guest

You're not making sense.

11. zabooza

zabooza Full Member

I'm a little confused as well. What do you mean Civic?

12. jlylereeves

jlylereeves Full Member

It's for redundancy, power windows as well as all accessories normally aren't connected to a constant power source for that reason. It reduces the likelyhood of a short and fire, and potential battery drain. Connecting them to a constant source won't give you problems if its done right, however redundant measure like second switches, fuses, relays only serve as added protection.

13. streetrace_r

streetrace_r Full Member

if oyu add a wire, make sure it's fused, and depending on the load, use appropriate wire....
    I used 16 guage wire and it melted :werd:

14. One Eyed Jack

One Eyed Jack Full Member

his dad is probably the dumbass technitian that suggested ignition-fed window motors :rolleyes:

15. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

:stupid: What I was saying that it would be easier to steal a car if there was constant power going to the windows.

16. One Eyed Jack

and just how would you get in to press the button, stupid?

17. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

If someone left the window open a crack

18. One Eyed Jack

then coudln't you unlock it by hand anyway? my god, you are an idiot.
    Unless the dude has a coathanger to poke the button- then whihc he could always slimjim the door anyway.
    retard.

:smash:

19. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

Im not saying what he could do instead idiot........Im saying thats why it does not have constant power. He could alsopop open the trunk, cut a hole in the back seats and crawl in but who cares!

20. One Eyed Jack

you DO realize these buttons are INSIDE, right?