Deadening My Doors!

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by DerrikW, Aug 23, 2004.

1. DerrikW

DerrikW Full Member

I just started deadening my doors, heres the kicker, I'm not using deadening material. Just good ole fiberglass. Just got 1 layer put on the whole door. How many layers do you think I will need to put on to be effective?

2. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

i think 2.890987466589869893676548765 layers will be Just enough :lol:

3. DerrikW

DerrikW Full Member

What if I'm like .00000000000000000000000002 layers off. Am I gonna have to rip it all off and start over.v :eek:

4. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I think that's a good idea - but do NOT plug the drain holes in the bottom of the doors! :eek:

Even after you 'glass them though, I'd still put damping material on the doors, or at least something like a Deflex pad behind the speaker, to break up and absorb reflections.

The fiberglass over the inner door skin and all its holes should really improve your response, make those doors behave like enclosures rather than poor substitutes for holey baffles. B)

5. DerrikW

DerrikW Full Member

It's turning out pretty decent so far. Just got done doing the second layer. Think 2 layers is enough or should I keep going? I was thinking 3 layers to begin with. But I may be tempted to do more than that.

6. texcon

texcon Full Member

What an interesting idea - make sure you share some pics with us all.

7. DerrikW

DerrikW Full Member

I would love to, if I had a camera. I broke mine a while back and never bought a new one. I could borrow one this weekend but I will be done by then. :(

8. texcon

texcon Full Member

We can just pretend then.