Deadening Fiberglass.

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by DerrikW, Oct 24, 2004.

1. DerrikW

DerrikW Full Member

How well will deadener stick to fiberglass? My front doors are fiberglassed solid. Now I need to put some deadener on them.

Anybody ever tried kool seal or any of the other liquid roofing sealers? How did it work.

How about peel n seal? How did that work?

Thanks.

2. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

"how well will deadener stick" is really the important part of the question... and it's not so much in the scope of "what will it stick to", as much as it is just fundamentally "how well does it stick". ;)

And I mention this mainly because you mention things like peal & seal - roofing products, that aren't damping materials.

Sure, they have some mass, since they are made from asphalt similar to damping materials. But they aren't made from that product specifically because it is heavy (as damping materials are), but rather because it is water repellant and rather climate-proof - and in fact, they make that stuff as absolutely thin as possible, where damping materials are the opposite - as thick as is practical.

And most people's biggest beef with those roofing products:
    How poor the glues on some of them are. ;)

Throw in a surface that's likely not sheet-metal smooth (you said you fiberglassed the inside of the doors), and you are making for a tougher situation on any damping material than might otherwise be faced if it was on a very smooth surface, like metal.

Bottom line:
    I don't think you want to chance it with roofing materials, and their questionable adhesion, particularly given your application.

Extra question for you:
    Did you apply damping materials to the inside of the door cavity, before you sealed it up?

3. DerrikW

DerrikW Full Member

:blush: :blush: :blush:

No I didn't. OOOPS.

I think I decided to screw the rest of it and try some edead v1.se 70mils thick for 1.25 per sq.foot is tough to beat. I can get my arm in through the speaker hole to get some right behind the speaker and over a little ways.

What about liquid deadener. like edead v.3? Would that stick to fiberglass anybetter?

The only reason I asked about peel n seal was because I seen that Josh L. used it on most of his car, and he said he nothing but great results from it.

4. kennyg

kennyg Full Member

Hey, if you wanna try and spray-on dampener, let me know, I have a few cans I need to get rid of. My email is freethuggin4428@yahoo.com,a nd AIM and yahoo sn's are freethuggin4428. Thnaks.

5. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Just don't spray the window accidentally! :D

You might try something like a deflex pad right behind the speaker too, that might work even better than just damping material behind the speaker. B)

6. AustinKP

AustinKP Full Member

I just ordered two gallons of SecondSkin's Spectrum V.2. I'm going to put one on the doors and one in the trunk. I'll let you guys know how much that makes a difference. In November, I'm going to build fiberglass door pods and put the Spectrum all over the inside of that as well. I'll give a full report when I'm done. I'll let you know how the Koda 12 sounds too if it ever comes out! :)
    Spectrum V.2 is on sale right now at the pre-order price of $39/gallon. That's an amazing price. I got the two gallons shipped for just under $100.

7. Tiffany

Tiffany New Member

8. TheSSG

TheSSG Full Member

If you go the Liquid Route, I'd Suggest getting the Liquid from McMaster-Carr.

I tried it out, it was 5 gallons for like $90 at the time. Nice stuff. Dries to a tough, yet flexible finish. Only downside it that it is white...so it's ugly. But not like you'll see it :D

Were you deadening the doors to deaden them, or to help keep out sound from outside?
    If it's for sound, I'd recommend buying some Mass-Loaded Vinyl, and using Silicone Contact cement to hold it on, that hold to pretty much everything. ANd the Vinyl makes your car like a tomb. It's AWESOME! :D
    Also, because that stuff is so dense it does add quite a bit of mass to the door as a bonus...