Custom Kicks Or Q-forms

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Snausages01, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Snausages01

Snausages01 Full Member

Im looking to actually start installing my stereo soon! (Yes, Im pretty serious about it this time ... lol)

However, I have a big choice here: Should I pay someone to make damn good kicks for 350 or buy Q forms for $120 and modify them the best I can?

Let me elaborate a little:

The custom kicks would run me about $350 for everything, I would have some part in the setup and listening to them to make sure they provide a good soundstage and what not. The kicks would come out pretty much stock looking kind of based like the Q-forms for the 02 F-150s. The reason I am thinking about paying someone is because I could do my own, but I do not think that I could get them look the way that I want them. In other words I do not think they would meet my standards. I trust the shop, its where I have gotten 100% of my equipment from at great prices, I guess they are trying to make up for that with the price of the kicks :(

If I went the Q-forms route I would glass the back and modify the tweeter placement. (I've had them before they were good for what they were, but the sound was a little forward on the drivers side and really far forward on the passanger side...So hopefuly modifying the tweeter placement would fix this a little) Also, I liked the way they looked bc they pretty much looked stock. SO for a while I would just glass the back of them and maybe stuff some polyfill behind them and see what the results were. Later one and maybe at the sametime I would like to take a mold of them and experiment with them a little maybe seal them up and then take the mold and modify the tweeter placement drastically if I wasn't happy with the sound I got form the regular Q-froms with the slightly modified tweeter (dont want to move it around too much and mess up the Q-forms).

So I guess do you think I could accomplish a good soundstage with the modified Q-forms? Or does it look like I would just be heaing in the opposite direction going this route?

Thanks,

2. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Why fuk around? Make your own kicks.

If you are not comfortable doing that, I'd say have them locally custom made.

3. Snausages01

Snausages01 Full Member

Well like I said I cna make them, but honestly I don't think i could get them to look the way I would really want them to. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to stuff involving my truck.

Its get the Q-forms for $100 and try to make them sound better or spend, $350 on the custom kicks. Who knows maybe I could pull the mold off the Q-forms and just modify them a little and make them sound a whole lot better, for a whole lot less than the custom bought ones. I think if I based them off of the Q-forms they would give me the look that I like and fit up well and then it would just be a matter of painting and sanding.

4. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

I'd probably get the shop to build mine. If i still had my trusted installer around, i'd get him to do mine. I'd really like a stock look also. In my current car though, i dont care to put a whole lot of money into something custom, so i built my own. I hope to be getting something better to work with at some point, then i'll pull out all stops. My vote goes for the trusted shop.

5. delvryboy

delvryboy Full Member

just a thought...i have a friend who purchased the q-forms for his cavy...then..basically using them as a form...reglassed them..opened them up to fit a 7" mid and finished them to match the exterior paint...they came out very nice and took alot of the work out of forming your own kicks from scratch...also very cost effective

edit - i just read your last post hazard...thats basically what he did

6. Snausages01

Snausages01 Full Member

Welp I just ordered the Q-froms off of ebay (I mean from the devil ;)).

My first plan is to take a mold of them, then glass the back of them. After that is done I will install the speakers into the Q-forms I bought and work on fabricating my own from the molds and make a few changes to them. After they are complete I will switch the speakers to those kicks and see how they sound, if I am happy then I will keep them as is, if not I will redo or try to seal them off and see what that does for the midrange (good or bad?).