Custom Distribution Blocks

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by nismo, Jan 23, 2004.

1. nismo

nismo Full Member

i have access to titanium stock...by the pound. i cant find any distribution blocks that i like (that match). i can find one here, and one there, but they never match, and that sort of stuff drives me nuts.

anyhow, i can machine the titanium stock down so that it will work perfectly for making d-blocks. first of all...how well does titanium conduct electricity. secondly, is platinum plating a bad idea?

yeah yeah, i know im nuts...but im all about the diy :stupid:

eric

2. delvryboy

delvryboy Full Member

i am particularly interested in [1] 1/0 in, [3] 4awg out, ANL fuses...i have not been able to find one of these on the market....the closest i have come is the DEI product...1/0 in..[2]4awg out w/ANL and [2] 8awg out w/AGU

3. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

That seems to be the hardest thing to find sometimes, the sizes that will work best for you. I was looking through a catalog at work and found one company that had a really neat product. It holders looked exactly like fuse holders, but had circuit breakers instead. It had a wide variety of different types. If you want to be different, maybe see if you can find those. Fuses can be expensive after all.

And now to the topic at hand. I have had a similar problem for a while. My dad has a copper bar that is 1" thick by 2" wide by about 6 feet long. He said I could have it. I wanted to machine some buss bars out of it, but I can't find any copper screws. I figure any other type of screw wouldn't look good.

4. nismo

nismo Full Member

i guess i was looking more for responses on whether using platinum plated titanium is a good idea. i could use brass, and gold plate it (i can get brass the same way as titanium)...but i dont like gold very well. i would like to have everything blue/silver.

as far as blocks go, im wanting the mini-ANL's for the fuses, and have dual 1/0 inputs, and 6 1/0 outputs w/ spacer rings so i can use 4 awg if i want.

i figure that way i dont have to worry about not having enough places to plug in :D

eric

5. delvryboy

delvryboy Full Member

why not platinum?

alot of the accessory manufactuers are touting platinum on there high end products

6. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I didn't think titanium had the same conductivity as brass or even platinum (which isn't that stellar)...
    But perhaps that's a wash when you are considering how large the blocks are, relative to your wiring that is feeding them. ;)

I'd bet brass is cheaper to obtain, also.

7. Feandil

Feandil Full Member

Platinum plated brass ;)

8. nismo

nismo Full Member

you might be wrong too :p

this stuff is all brand new, and sent for testing. they send monsterous blocks, and only need a sliver cut off. the rest gets thrown away. so my only cost would be the actual plating. im pretty sure i will have access to nice machining tools for making these all pimpy lookin, and functional.

eric

9. TalNLnky

TalNLnky Full Member

platnum plating seems kinda dumb to me... It looks nice, but other than its resistance to corrosion it does very little, if anything, a slight voltage loss.

I'm all for the metallic look over the gold look, WHY DON"T THEY HAVE WHITE GOLD PLATING? is white gold not as good as yellow gold?

another thing about platnum... how long do people keep the same stereo equipment in thier cars? Its either stolen, swaped out for various reasons, or the car is sold.... i can't see many people keeping the same equipment in thier car for much more than about 3yrs.... at max prolly 10yrs. crap, some people can't even keep stuff in thier car for more than 6months at a time..... is there really enuf time for corrosion to be such a factor that platnum plating would actually have a PERFORMANCE advantage over gold?

EDIT: i also hate how you can't ever find the distroblock that you want/need. I personally would love a distro that was 1/0 or 2/0 input with 3 4awg outs, and maybe even a single 8awg (ANL of course).... I'd also like to have an 8awg in, with something like 2 12awg & 2 16 or 18awg outs (AGU)..... be very easy to wire my AudioControll products then.

10. DanWiggins

DanWiggins Full Member

Ti is a terrible conductor. Check out this page:

http://www.amm.com/index2.htm?/ref/conduct.HTM

The relative conductivity is how good it is compared to copper. Copper is 100. Ti is 5 - about 1/20th as good as copper. Use copper, or aluminum, or even brass is better than Ti.

Dan Wiggins
    Adire Audio

11. TheSSG

TheSSG Full Member

Maybe do a solid piece of something conductive, and do a thin layer of Titanium. If you can get it in a foil, you could cover the block in it. Now, this will have absolutely no advantage to anything, excpet Ti looks REALLY cool.