crystal component question

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by blitzdemon, Dec 29, 2002.

1. blitzdemon

blitzdemon Full Member

i have the csc60s component set and have a question on the crossovers.
    i had my neighbor come over with his multimeter to check to see if anything was wrong in my wiring when my amp went into protection mode that was powering the components and when he checked the crossovers he got 3 weird readings. the first is that the left midbass, left tweeter, and right tweeter all read 3ohms. if im not mistaken arn't the components suppose to be rated at 4ohms. secondly the right side midbass driver read 1.3ohms, that is extremely different then what everything else read. and finally on the right side crossover he was getting a reading of 1volt off the input for the amplifier wires. the amplifier was disconnected when he read the reading and this made him wonder if 1 of the capasitors inside might be bad. could you please help me out here. is the crossover bad or what?

2. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

Well First is sounds like youre blew a mid bass, the one that read 1.3 ohms

They are rated 4ohm nominal, which will be MORE than what they read on a MM just sitting there, the resitance of the speaker will change drasically has it plays.....

so a 3omh reading on a 4ogm speaker is no surpsising, 1.3 ohm sounds to me like a burnt coil.........

3. blitzdemon

blitzdemon Full Member

if i already ruined 1 of my mids im goin to be so p!$$ed...i wasnt even playing passed 15 on my premier hu, and i no for a fact that my gains werent up hardly. god now im goin to have to check it and then talk to sounddomain bout lettin me send em back for new set or somin...just my damn luck, my jbl goes into protection and wont come out so i had to send that bak and now my mid might be blown. im having the best of luck getting into car audio :(

4. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

Well if the amp malfuction it could have blown the mid, easly

Did you try the JBL on any other Speakers before sending it off, the Blown mid WILL force the amp in to protection.

5. blitzdemon

blitzdemon Full Member

yea i tried hookin it up to 1 of my eD k subs in my friends car...it was still in protection

6. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

well that being the case, I would say the amp blew the mid

tough luck, just another reason I will not run JBL amps