Crossovers -- How they interact

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by SteamHammer, Sep 17, 2004.

1. SteamHammer

SteamHammer Full Member

I know this is a tad late for this thred but I noticed something in your original post over at ICIX that is of some importance.

I read that you are running the Xover on the HU at 80/24db AND you have the Xover on the amp set at 60/?

By running the Xovers in series you pooch the Xover point. I got this formula from Harrison labs (Fmod manufacturer) when I was doing something similar with a HU Xover and an Fmod. When you run 2 xovers in series, the Xover point changes. Here is how to to figure the new Xover point out:

Frequency A * Frequency B
    --------------------------------- = New Xover point
    Frequency A + Frequency B

Using your numbers you get:

80*60
    ------- = 34.2 Hz
    80+60

You had your comps Xover way too low, essentially running full range. Never Never use two Xovers in series, they don't work independently, they interact. If you use the formula and have to use two in series, then you can figure out what the new point will be. I know this works because I tested it. Oh, and the slopes also interact. You just add them together for the new slope.

I hope this helps

2. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

I've never heard of this before, anyone else? Doesn't really make much sense to me, but Xovers are some strange things, so I really wouldn't know, but I've run this way for quite some time, never had a problem, and generally it seems to just start at the higher point and then kill everything solid at the lower one. Actually the maind reason I generally do this is because An old deck I had liked to lose its settings quite regularly, so I never fully trusted it's crossovers, thatway having an extra one set on the amp, it wouldn't try to blowup my speakers.

3. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

hmmmm Now I could be Wrong, (which is VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY rare .. did I say very rare???)

but if you Take a Signal... Pass is through a crossover and attenuate certin Freq's and then pass it through another Crossover it will only serve to attenuate those Freq's more

To Elaberate using the above numbers

the HU would Attenuate all Freq's under 80hz at 26db/octave and send it to the amp

the Amp would then get and process the already attenuated Signal from the amp
    then the sound processors would then attenuate all sound 60hz at what ever rate those crossovers were made, probally 18db/octave

that is what LOGIC would say........

4. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

I should also note that playing with the limited tools at my disposal, I've never seen any results that would say anything different. Also, if there's such a limited signal reaching the amp below 80hz in the first place, how's it going to somehow find signal down to 30hz or so to amplify?

If I'm not mistaken CDT's newst crossover technology seems to do just exactly this as well. has a mellow sloped beginning, then rollsoff sharply by adding a 2nd crossover at a slightly different frequency.

5. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

Hey does anyone know if they ever got around to making all those speakers they had ppl pre-order? Or even the amps? I haven't heared any buzz about it FIguredsomeone would post SOMETHIGN somewher eon the web. I'd check their forum myself, but y'kno.. that whole being banned thing.

6. SteamHammer

SteamHammer Full Member

Well, the formula could be for passives? Maybe actives work differently. All I know is that when I took a 200mhz Fmod and stuck it inline with my 80hz xover from my HU deck it would drop the Xover frequency just like the dude told me it would. BUT the FMOD is a passive Xover so that could change things. The HU and the amp are active AFAIK.

7. delvryboy

delvryboy Full Member

thats exactly what i used to think, however, from reading various tech papers, i was wrong

8. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

I split the topic so maybe we can get some more discussion on this

Link me to the Tech papers that Defy Logic

9. DerrikW

DerrikW Full Member

This is very interesting! I like most you, have always thought that using two crossovers would just in fact attenuate even more. Maybe not?

10. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

well, over in eDland everything works different. Crossovers don't apply to them the way they'd apply to normal, rational speakers.

Sorry, I'm bitter. BLAH. principal...

11. DerrikW

DerrikW Full Member

I was just thinking about something. What about passives for components. If we were say using a 80 HPF on the HU, wouldnt' that fuck with the crossover points on the passives? Say the crossover point on it is 3500hz, high and low. wouldnt throwing that HU crossover in there mess it up? If this whole conspiracy were true anyhow.

Something to think about.

12. delvryboy

delvryboy Full Member

mike, i have to go digging around. i know there is a reference to it in the car stereo cookbook. let me see what i can dig up...

13. delvryboy

delvryboy Full Member

not really, we would just be attentuating freq's below 80hz. the component crossover would still do it's intended job

14. delvryboy

delvryboy Full Member

" crossover frequencies shift to lower values when you combine 2 crossovers - about 20% below the nominally selected frequencies"

car stereo cookbook - there is some more online somewhere, i just don't remember. maybe in the adire white papers?

15. delvryboy

delvryboy Full Member

hmm, when highpassing, does that raise the frequency ?