Crossover needed on front coaxials?

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Bill Jones, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Bill Jones

Bill Jones New Member

Be advised I'm a audio simpleton looking for the most basic of tips...and drive a beat up 94 truck that is full of noise and rattles anyway, so hardly an audiophile...

However if I have a setup of coaxials in the front running off the head unit, and an amp under the seat running two boxed subwoofers (right and left) in the back with the low pass filter at 80 hz, do I need to put passive crossovers on the coax's in the front?

I read Vikings tutorial and the gist of what I got was that you dont want multiple speakers running the same frequency. So as I understand it, in my setup it will be the front speakers playing all frequencies, and the sub's playing the <80 hz frequencies....therefore do I need to filter out the <80 hz from the front coax's with a crossover, or does it not matter?

By the way the front coax's are only 4"ers, that's what the factory speaker holes are.

Also from what I gather the rear filler speakers are fairly dispensable and again since I'm not an audiophile, I plan to go without them, is this ok?

2. shriver187

shriver187 Full Member

well ur subs will be playing 80hz and down... and ur coax's will be playing everything if there is no crossovers.. the biggest problem u will see with no crossovers on the coaxials is that they cant handle alot of the lower bass and will distort at higher volumes.. u can always see how it sounds and then add crossovers.. or u could buy some bass blockers for cheap and go that route..

3. captnfangdango

captnfangdango Full Member

i'd go with bass blockers......like ya said its full of squeeks and rattles....probably wouldn't tell alot of difference