Credit Fraud

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Steven Kephart, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

My boss has a huge problem. We had someone call in using the hearing impaired system to order some products. They ordered 3 Pioneer in dash DVD players with the screens and paid extra to have them overnighted to Louisianna. My boss took all the proper information, ran their card for $5,000 without a problem and sent them the product. They sent us an e-mail thanking us the next day. Well my boss got a call from the Credit card company who is holding the money. They said that there was a scam going on like this, and they need to make sure it wasn't one of those. Well upon further investigation, the card was issued out of France.

A couple days later we got another call by them, and my boss started wrighting down the info. But while he was on the phone, another one came in. The first one hung up early (possibly spooked), but he took the order for the other one, and it was the same card as the first. This order was for 5 of the DVD players at $8,000. He tried running the card through to see if they put a stop on it, which they did. So at least now the card can't be used by them.

The problem is that the credit card company isn't paying my boss what they owe him for the first transaction. Their basically saying he's out of luck. It was their system that allowed the charge to go through, and yet my boss is responsible for it. This doesn't seem right.

I figured some of you guys may know a little bit about what my boss's rights are in this. Would it be worth it to fight it in court? My boss did get all the information he is required to get. Thanks for any help.

2. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Were they international shipments or were they inside the US?

I might look online for credit card fraud like this, as it seems to be common. Locally it has been happening to several buisnesses too. I saw a spot of it on the news.

I recieved a few requests for audio equipment (averaging a sum of around $10,000 apiece) from the "Government of Nigeria". That sounded a tad funny to me, but I bit and E-mailed them back. They wanted to pay with a credit card, and I refused it (fearing a scam). I told them I would be glad to accomodate them as soon as I recieved a cashiers check, or Western Union, and they placed the order directly through my website. They said thet would right away, but guess what? ;)

I don't think your boss will have much luck recouping his losses. Of course, if he uses a credit card verification service (like Tele-Check or Veri-Serve), they have to pay the fees and it is their responsibility to go after them. That is the service you pay for.

3. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

It was in the US. But the credit card was issued in France.

And yes he has, and used Tele-check. But they are the one's saying he's pretty much out of luck.

BTW, good job on your situation. I'm glad to hear you didn't get burned. But it's too bad it wasn't legit.

4. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

Your boss is pretty much screwed I believe. We had a scam like that at work. Luckily we got the stuff shipped back in time.

5. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

tell you boss to bend over

I have a Mtx T81000d and and JVC KDSH99 some where in cali, and the polcie will not even tell me how to get it back, and THEY HAVE IT

Mine was a Amercian Express Card, that every check passed, Cvv2, AVS,. all that, yet it was a stolen card, so I was SOL, they would not give me the money so I had to pay for the products out of pocket, which at the time really sucked, it would not be soo bad if I could have gotten them back, since the police busted the guys during delivery, and confescated my goods, but I have not ever heard back, and my phone calles where never returned

but your boss is SOL, welcome to the double edged sword of credit cards

in the furture, and most business do this now, order over $1,000 they will require you fax a copy of the card and Drivers lic to them, may be a pain, but in the end it is better