Could use some help planning a new system

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by neverrain, Jul 23, 2010.

1. neverrain

neverrain New Member

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum (if the post count isn't an indication). I'm planning a new system build for my 92 240sx coupe and could greatly use some expert assistance with choosing components, rear fills, a sub, and amps.

I am planning this system to run off a carputer and plan to eliminate my head unit completely, running all the audio off an Asus Zonar D2 7.1 sound card. My main goal for this is sound quality. I'm very uninterested in rattling my trunk lid, but would like the ability to turn up the music once in a while without distortion but maintaining clear quality sound across the powerband.

Since this will be using a carputer, I plan to use this for both music and movies. I am also planning on ripping out the interior and laying Dynamat (or similar) on the floors, wheel wells, trunk, doors, and possibly the firewall. This is not being included in the budget I have set for the audio aspects of the system. I have a somewhat healthy budget of $1-2k for this.

I have done some research and heard good things about CDT for components (will be 6.5" all the way around, although which model I don't know), but am completely clueless when it comes to amps and subs. I feel kinda stupid as well when it comes to understanding power handling between the speakers and the amps. So any help would be appreciated.

Lastly, I would like to use a 10" sub in a removable box. I plan to build a box that will hold everything and be removable from the trunk when needed, though that may be easier said than done. I have done some reading on this and learned that sealed boxes are better for SQ?

Help! School me please! I'm extremely willing to learn, though choosing brands and models seems like a foreign language to me.

Thank you all in advance for any advice you can provide.

2. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

I dont mean to sound stupid but whats a carputer and a soundcard? What country are you in?

3. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I have a friend thats done that in a 2002 Mitsu. Awesome system. He can do music, video, navigation, on board car diagnostics, bluetooth phone and streaming and full internet access. Serious overkill, but tooooo cool.

What mother board are you going to use? What powersupply?

RMS power is what we want to look at. If you have a speaker rated at 75 watts RMS then you want an amp rated at the same or less power. A good amp for that speaker would have a rating between 50 to 75 watts RMS.

Yes, a sealed box is typically you best choice for SQ. The same thing goes for power. If the woofer is rated at 300 Watts RMS then the amp should be rated at the same RMS rating. If we can not get an amp of the same rating, then we wanna get as close as possible.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010