component set reccomendations

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by zabooza, Jan 2, 2003.

1. zabooza

zabooza Full Member

I'm in the market to get a new comp. set in the front. Problem is, I'm really limited to mounting depth. I got I think 2.5" at most to work with. I don't want to cut the door skin at all, so just using spacers is out of the question. Can someone please reccomend a component set that will sound really good? I was originally going to get the JL Xr-Csi's, but they are a little too big. Anything else compare to their sound for about the same price? I'd like to save as much money as I can. Thanks for the help.

2. zabooza

zabooza Full Member

anybody?

3. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

Hmmm...mids with shallow mounting depth... Morel, DEI, and Rainbow come to mind. I'm sure there's more, but those are off the top of my head. I think A/D/S has some shallow ones too.

4. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

kicker makesa a shallow version

5. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I was able to fit a 1.5" spacer behind my stock door panels...
    My stock mounting depth was only like 2"!
    I have a .75" spacer ring there now, and it's great.
    Check it out, first picture:
    http://www.geocities.com/geolemon/frontstage.htm
    That fit behind a stock door panel, although I did have to fabricate those grilles, which gained me about 1/2" of clearance.

6. zabooza

zabooza Full Member

do you think you can email me the pics geo? I am at work, and the firewall here blocks all links to geocities. I'd really appreciate it, as I am really baffled on what to do. I'm planning on selling the car soon, so I don't want to chop it up, you know? I really appreciate the help though. Hopefully I can get it figured out. I would much rather just buy a set that will fit though.
    I have such a busy schedule, that I rarely have time to spend doing installs. Hell, I barely have the time to put in the speakers themselves. :blink:

oh btw, email: jsjlaudio1@hotmail.com

7. zabooza

zabooza Full Member

I still need help fellas. :(

8. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

What else do you need help with?

9. luvdeftonz

luvdeftonz Full Member

Looking at my handy Crutchfield catalog (they're good for something :D ) it shows the Kicker K65.2 comp set with a mounting depth of 2 1/8". The 6.5" Kappas are 2 3/16". It all really depends on what size you want. There are many ( in fact, most) 5 1/4 comp. sets that will fit. There are also quite a few 6.5" sets that will fit (the Kickers woofer is supposedly 6 3/4"). What size are you looking at?

10. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

I wouldn't worry about your depth too much. All you need to do (like geo said) is make a baffle to put between the mid and the door to give you some extra depth. I ended up having to do that for my mids b/c of the width of the basket. Its not too tough as long as you have the write tools, or in my case, know someone who has the right tools :). Thanks Seth (sandt38) :).

11. The_spacemonkey

The_spacemonkey Full Member

How much do you want to spend?

12. zabooza

zabooza Full Member

as I said before, I can't do baffles without cutting the door's speaker grille out, and that's not something I want to do so I can easily sell my car. I'm looking for a 6.5" set.

Does anyone know how those kickers or infinities sound? They might be possibilities.

Oh, and I would like to spend as much as it would cost to get a set of JL XR650's online.

Thanks for the help again fellas. B)

13. peter_euro

peter_euro Full Member

Your options amount to this: either Diamond Audio HEX600 (2.25 in mounting depth) or Illusion Audio Nd6.1 (slightly less than 2in mounting depth) when talking about decent sets... I know all about because I was in the same situation with 2 of my cars (90 Pathfinder and 98 3000GT4 VR). I went with DA in both cars because they are easier to find and cheaper... they sound very decent and no modifications to the interior were necessary... If you want to take the cheap route, then go with Lanzar Neo6.1 which are less than 2in in depth... I have never heard them but I am sure they sound pretty good for the price...(I am getting Lanzar Neo8 mids with 2.5in depth put in my front doors and rear panels pretty soon and they seem like very decent drivers FOR $29 apiece!!!) :D

14. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

I'm pretty sure the Rainbow Pros would fit, also look into Morel, and A/D/S. I know a guy (chadillac35) that ran some A/D/S coaxials for a while and said they were very very nice for coaxes. I believe those can be found for just over $200.

15. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I hope you were able to get a look at those pictures..
    I can't Email them to you, unfortunately...

But IF you do a quality job, it's not 'hacking' up your car, it's improving it.
    IF you do a quality job, someone who didn't know better wouldn't even know it wasn't stock (unless you intentionally did a "highlighted" sort of install, which doesn't sound like what you are shooting for).

I think my doorpanels not only look stock, still..
    But if you saw the stock grilles (plastic with vertical slots), you would agree that these fabricated grilles look MORE upscale than the stock ones, using the same factory body cloth and all. ;)

And it hardly cost anything... the yard of factory body cloth to match my door panels was the most expensive thing, and it was only like $20.

Otherwise, you are limited in your choices of speakers, and I'd hate to have to compromise based on that.

Good luck!