Coax Or Comp Front Stage

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by jnc2000, Apr 11, 2004.

1. jnc2000

jnc2000 Full Member

sup everyone...long time CAF member now coming over here b/c most times my questions just get cycled too fast...and dont get answered.

anyway i want to do a very nice frontstage on my setup....(total sql system) so i want a very good front stage. either very good coax or comp setup. i have never done a comp setup in my life or heard one or saw one. so the question is should i go for a comp or coax. i have no reall equipment to fiberglass and if i were to have kicks made they would be done by the local shop for like $60.

i was leaning more to the comp setup also. thinking of having 6.5 midbass drivers in the door, 5.25s and tweets in the kicks.

as for equipment i have right now..... not too much

stinger pro rca's
    knukonceptz 4 gauge power
    200 amp anl fuse
    hiphonics brutus bx1000d
    ed 15a in a 1.49^3 sealed box
    NO rear fill

if anyone lives near NE ohio and could help me out that would be appreciated too. thanks guys

justin

2. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

$60 for kicks? Damn can you find someone with a 4dr cavalier and borrow their car to use to get some made for me?

3. jnc2000

jnc2000 Full Member

they are not fiberglass...just vinal and plastic...like q forms....but solid all the way through. also they are thicker than q forms from what i have been told.

4. jnc2000

jnc2000 Full Member

what about koda comps....my budget is $400 for the comp set and another $300 for the comp amp. thinking of zapco or soundstream for the front stage amp.....

5. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I'd definitely suggest getting a 2-way 5.25" component set (of your choosing), and a separate dedicated 6.5" midbass driver - if not subwoofer- to play up to 200hz or so to pick up at a point that'll leave the 5.25" set able to deafen you like an old-school AC/DC concert..:lol:

I'm not a fan of 3-ways, because the balance between the mid and midbass are tricker than that, IMO... with all the install-related issues to contend with, that seem to be fluffed over.

If you power the midbass separate, it allows you to be able to feed it more power if desired, compared to the component set.
    Even if you use a good sized 4-channel amp, you can still adjust this balance via the gain controls (there's generall one per channel pair, at least). ;)