Clean System - 1998 sidekick - help me

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by camachosoft, Dec 30, 2002.

1. camachosoft

camachosoft Guest

I bought a 4-door 1998 suzuki sidekick jlx

the HU will be a Pioneer 7400mp

for highs/mids i will use four Infinity Kappa 42.5i (50w rms) in stock locations, 2 on the front and 2 on the rear powered by a MTX 4244 amp.

for lows i will use 2 edk12 sealed (1.25cu each) powered by a MTX 6500d with a 2ohm load.

The questions are:

1.- are 2 edk too much bass for that mid/high configuration and should i only use 1 edk sealed?

2.- Will this system sound GOOD?

3.- Its a daily driver system, focus on SQ with loudest SPL y can get, do you have any recomendations for it?

thanks guys

2. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

1> To me you can never have to much bass,

2>Yes

3>Anything for sale at shop4sound :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

3. zabooza

zabooza Full Member

yeah, what Mike said. :lol: If you do find that two K's are too much, just turn down the gain on the amp. :)

4. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

1) I doubt you will find it to be too much bass... For a SQ system, a single 12" would be more than enough, but two 12" are just more fun!
    And if you have a remote gain, you can throttle them down when you do want that more mellow, less testosterone-inducing sound quality...
    And even if you don't, you can be nice and conservative with the gain and set it up more for sound quality.

2) Tough to say... Your equipment sounds fine though! You aren't buying the wrong stuff or anything.. but a lot is dependent on the install. Speaker locations in particular.. And not just the locations, but the angle of them relative to you (how on-axis, or off-axis they are).. And not just that, but the absolute phase relationships between them.. and not just them, but the phase relationships between the sound they are producing directly, and the sound being reflected off the glass! Phew...

3) I'd try to beef up the front stage... and at the same time progressively narrow the pass-band of sound the rear speakers are getting.. effectively limit them to midbass duties. If you don't go all-out and do something like kicks, I'd still look to angle the front speakers a bit.. and if nothing else, make the doors behave more like proper baffles.. maybe even mount the speakers on large pieces of MDF.. even if it's just 1/4" thick! ;)

Read up on absolute phasing, to understand what I was talking about in points 2 and 3 if you like, I tried to make it easy reading:
    www.teamcaf.org/geolemon (the first link)