Choices.......Choices

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Civic96, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

I went to 6th avenue today to check out the Alpine 7893 and the Pioneer 740MP.
    I got a close look at both units and both are impressive. The buttons on the pioneer are so small and cheap looking but there is an abundance of features. The alpine is just an overall amazing unit.....its beautiful. We listened to both units with an W7 powered by a RF amp. That thing shook up the whole store and then the car audio guy got yelled at.We noticed that for some reason the sub hit a lot harder with the Pioneer. We tried to tune the Alpine but we could not get it to be as loud as the pioneer. We had to be missing something it doesnt make sense for the sub to be quieter. Anyways, I was hoping the guy would help me choose but he just told me that he loved them both equally. He actually knew a lot about car Audio and was so pissed when he heard my car was broken into. He said that its too hard of a choice for him to pick one since his friends have both and he loves both of them. So hear I am in this big mess and will once again end up spending 2 months which one to get and by that time the new HU's will start to come out and I will spend another 5 months choosing........I wil end up with no stereo for 8 months :D

Im thinking of just pulling a name out of a hat

2. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Not to throw another one into the mix, but why the 7893, not the 7894?
    I was choosing between the Pioneer 7400MP and the Alpine 7894 myself...
    Because I wanted an MP3 player that had some nice SQ oriented features..
    Both are pretty loaded for the money...
    I ended up with the Alpine for a few reasons:
    1) I knew someone who had one, and he loved his
    2) Alpine comes with a nifty time alignment feature, which really is a 4 channel phase adjustment... if you have ever read my article on absolute phasing, you know why I went for this...
    3) it wasn't much more than the Pioneer...
    4) CD unit was better
    At www.shop4sound.com, the Pioneer was about $270 I think, while the Alpine was $299... ;)

3. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

Reasons:

7893 is blue and the 7894 is green :D
    I dont care about the mp3 feature, I chose the 740mp b/c it has 4v preouts unlike the 640.

Its such a hard choice

4. Audio Nut

Audio Nut Full Member

get a kenwood you geek =)

5. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

You are such a deek.........I say that I am having a hard time choosing b/w the two and you bring a 3d into the equation........ :angry:

6. Audio Nut

Audio Nut Full Member

kenwood....kenwood...kenwood!!!!!

get the kdc 959....im sure mike can get it to you for atleast for 450....considering msrp is 700 :p

7. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

Kenwood MP959! Damn, I thought my MP919 was the best...

8. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

you do realize I cant offerd a 450 dollar HU.
    Im going for about 250

9. Alan

Alan Full Member

panasonic makes a nice mp3 HU B)

10. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

mp3 compatability is like caviar to me....it looks nice in my fridge but I wont eat it.

Arent all the companies going to release new HU's in a few months anyways?
    Its almost 2003. I could just intall a 40 dollar cd player and wait it out....hmmm

11. Audio Nut

Audio Nut Full Member

never had a problem out of kenwoods...never heard complaints....besides...they look nicer

12. Alan

Alan Full Member

mp3 compatability is like caviar to me....it looks nice in my fridge but I wont eat it.

Arent all the companies going to release new HU's in a few months anyways?
    Its almost 2003. I could just intall a 40 dollar cd player and wait it out....hmmm[/b][/quote]
    hmmmmmm
    or you could just not get one at all and save yourself 40 dollars...
    :rolleyes:

13. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

I think the Alpine looks nice enough but I need to know when the new ones are coming out :D

14. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

One thing i noticed about the Pioneer units was that they added a bit of punch to the bass while the Alpine units have a flatter, more equal sound. After having the Pioneer 7400MP and switching to the Alpine 7894, the first thing i noticed was a slight drop in bass output. It doesn't really bother me at all since i'm not really a basshead. Overall, i like the features and functionality alot better than the 7400MP. Just my .02.

15. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

I noticed the drop in bass as well. The drop came from the subwoofer, are you talking about the drop in the speaker output or subwoofer output?
    If you are talking about speaker it is weird b/c the Alpine has a more powerful amp......hmmm

16. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

No, i'm saying that any midbass, or lower frequency had an added punch with the Pioneer deck. I honestly didn't like it that much. The Alpine just sounds more real to me. If you want more bass from the sub, all you gotta do is turn up the game or the sub volume a little :). It wasn't a problem for me at all.

17. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

Alrighty.........If only someone knew when the new Alpines are suppsoed to come out. I think I will email Alpine :D

18. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

Once the new ones come out you could probably get a really nice price on the current line up. Maybe even go up the the next model....

19. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

That is what I want to do but I first I need to know how long I need to wait B)

20. Audio Nut

Audio Nut Full Member

i only have one thing to say to you....

kenwood =O)