Cd Player Skips

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by fb4076, May 22, 2004.

1. fb4076

fb4076 Full Member

I have a 2002 Mountaineer with the stock in-dash 6-disc changer. It seems to be skipping every CD I own. I have only tried burned CD's so far, but I did not think that an '02 would have problems playing burned discs... I can not figure out why it skips all of my CD's, I have used the CD player cleaning disc, which did not help at all. It will play the first track with no skipping, the second track with very little, the third with quite a bit, and the fourth one is not playing more than it is. It will do this with all 6 CD's. I burned 6 new discs tonight to make sure they would not be scratched (new package of CD's). Anybody have any idea what might cause this....

2. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

Could it be that particular brand of cds?

My friend has that same year mountaneer and it plays cdrs just fine.

3. fb4076

fb4076 Full Member

Well... It The nicer the brand of CD it is the better it will play. What is the nicest brand of CD's that I can buy? It can't hurt to like buy a 5-pack and see...

4. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

Memorex is pretty highly reguarded.

5. fb4076

fb4076 Full Member

Yeah, It will play the Memorex CD's decently, but it will still skip quite a bit on those. I think there is just something wrong with the CD player itself... it is not a big deal, the local Ford Dealership said they can replace it for $25 if they can keep the one I have in it now

6. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

the problem is the Way CD'rs are Recored over CD's Pressed

the CD'r need a Stronger Laser to Read them propery, and if your using a High Speed Burner (30X or more) the Laser needs to be even stronger

Burn a CD at a lower Speed (16x or lower) and see if it fixes the problem,

alot of stock players still have CDr issuse becuase of the weaker lasers