Car Audio Forum????

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Altec88, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Altec88

Altec88 Full Member

Where'd caraudioforum.com go? Its GONE...I guess this is my new home

2. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Gone? Really?

Well, what do you know...

Well, glad to have you aboard. Maybe we will begin to grow some more.

3. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

I haven't been able to get on in a week. I have no idea whats going on. Oh well

4. Altec88

Altec88 Full Member

HA its back....ill stick around here too...

5. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Absolutely!

We try to "keep it real" here... a LOT more flame-free than most forums...
    Although growth probably carries with it that unfortunate side-effect.

But glad to see you, stick around. B)

6. stacy532

stacy532 Full Member

I hated how big that flucker had gotten.....

7. Krelkor

Krelkor Full Member

oh come on all the big names cant leave
    i dont think ill ever leave caf
    there are more and more n00bs everyday, almost the eniter 1st page is n00b posts
    someones gotta help them
    is a question and answer forum afterall, not our little hangout where others are not welcome :blowup:

8. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I'm gone... and I was the biggest asshole over there... Oh, big names :p

We help over here as well. Frankly, I am tired of CAF, and I don't really see myself going back there for a long time.

9. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I don't really see the complaints with CAF...
    But then again, I'm also very sympathetic with the newbie...
    My system is usually in a state of flux, or state of planning, or state of "dammit I still haven't gotten my install in yet"...
    Many of the same issues that they face.
    I'm glad to help out when I can, those are the easy ones. Maybe not as fun, but easy.

But anyway, all forums have their downsides...
    I visit CAF, it's probably my favorite, things move FAST, people are generally reasonable, and I think the forum has been shaping UP lately if anything, just my opinion of course (I'd love to hear your observations).
    I visit CAT obviously, and this is truly a great forum - but one reason it's so nice is because of a core small group of people here. One downside to CAT is that it moves slower than CAF, inherent in the very thing that makes it nice. ;)

If you compare CAF to any of the other forums out there, I feel there are more downsides to many of the other forums, in some cases dramatically so (you'll note I never visit SI.N :baby: )
    Some forums cater to one group or another (SQ vs boomers vs SQ competitors vs SPL competitors vs professional installers), some forums just have a massive "lemming factor" that's just painful to try to walk upstream of - some of the most painful lemming cults to observe are literally myth-based (those are primarily the ones I avoid completely, because I can't keep my mouth shut :ranting: ), some forums just don't have enough traffic, enough expertise, enough open-mindedness, etc.

I find CAF to be a nice cross segment of the whole range, newbies to experts, SQ enthusiasts to SPL guys, amatuers to industry pros.
    And there's enough knowledge there that people will explore new ideas and concepts, some appreciation, some dispute, it all seems good.

So, I'm curious to hear what everyone thinks CAF's downsides are, and what forums you find relief on, if any... and what you don't mind trading off for it?
    :?:

B)

10. stacy532

stacy532 Full Member

here is a list of forums I visit from my favorite to least favorite
    www.garageboard.com about the same as this site small and friendly.. Im a mod btw
    www.usaforum.us this forum has all but died. Iam a super mod there
    www.caraudiotalk.com :p
    www.mustangworld.com really big and full of flamers
    www.termpro.com very large and overly strict
    www.dfwstangs.net way to big for me...lol
    www.caraudioforum.com has gotten too big for my taste
    www.caraudioplanet.com just stopped going
    www.bassheads.net I guess it died...lol
    www.dodgeintrepid.net I went for a while but everyone just hates post whores unless you drive a dodge :blush:

11. systempimp_1500

systempimp_1500 Full Member

you forgot about www.visualbasicforum.com :p

hm....happy place :yes:

Jeff

12. stacy532

stacy532 Full Member

13. Snausages01

Snausages01 Full Member

I don't like how people "shit" on other peoples thread!
    I don't like the maturity level there.
    I don't like the fact that they virtually have no active mods.
    I don't like the childish post.
    I don't like the ED bandwagon, but this applies to other forums too.
    -Really great can a company be that has had multiple issue with it suposedly 'great' subs. Wheather its quality control od design it needs to be fixed; it should have never happened. Even with all this going on people rave about ED. I for one would not want any product with any type of these problem; so, why is it so widely recomnded when it clearly does not live up to it's name? (I have much more on this topic, but Im sure a lot of people feel the same as I do and share my views, and Im sure some completely disagree.)

I'm sure there is a lot more I do not like, but that goes for anything I suppose...Just have to ask yourself does the good out weigh the bad? I think CAF used to be a good place, but I think its about time for me to leave like many others have. I see this being a bad trend for CAF loosing a lot of ther 'older' members.

14. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

It's interesting, maybe I just skim the forums differently than you, maybe I simply pick up on the crap topics and don't even click them...
    Because I think about 3-9 months ago, CAF was much worse than it is now.
    I don't know. I'm not going anywhere.

I'm no mod, but I try to slap people with logic whenever I can I suppose... :D

15. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Chris, I am feeling where you are comming from bud. I don't bother with it any more. I am not surprised as to who was involved in the post that pissed you off either. I am a bit surprised at K, as I have always had a pretty good amount of respect for him, but that was really not cool. I guess he jumped on the ED bandwagon and became a croonie just like the rest of them. Not a good way for a company to be represented (being that Derek is one of Ben's best friends, and the guys bragging on their product all behave similarly).

The funny thing is, that all the guys who care about this hobby and understand it are gone. They are not going to hang at CAF for that BS. Leave those guys to their overrated, "flavor of the month" crap, pawned off by underinformed, immature kids. There were some smart kids there (and I mean young smart kids, like Jeff for example) who displayed far greater maturity and understanding of the products they spoke of, but they are gone. Sadly, the place I used to call home has become a hole.

It is sad, as that is where I started on the forums, and got to know some good people. But they are all gone, and the few that I care about are right here, and on Marshal's forum.

Leave the children to CAF, the grown ups will hang out here.

16. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

It's funny because the place I started at was SoundIllusions. Unfortunately some of those that I still respect only go there. A good example is Musthavemusic. So I guess I can feel your pain.

17. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

It's funny because the place I started at was SoundIllusions. Unfortunately some of those that I still respect only go there. A good example is Musthavemusic. So I guess I can feel your pain. [/b][/quote]
    I think the world of Monty too. I wish he would join us here. But those are his buddies, guys he hangs with on a personal level... Face to face. We can't expect him to do them wrong.

Monty is good people, and I remember posting a thread over there "Where's Monty" when he was gone for a few months. I brought him back. He was having some personal issues, and someone that true and good should never have those woes. I truely enjoyed him.

18. Snausages01

Snausages01 Full Member

Thats where Im starting to head. Yes I am younger than most people here, but I truely do have a love for the hobby. I had my first job in order to pay for this hobby...I was working to support my hobby as I still do. Then everything I worked hard for (yes I worked in an oil fild "ship yard" at 16 so I could get the things I had...and I think it was fairly hard work especially in the summer wearing jeans and a hardhat all day in a cement yard) was stolen, at that point I almost got out of the hobby indefinately (partly because insurance did not cover most of my stuff), but my love of it brought me back to it. It was also my love for the hobby as to why I took it so hard when I walked up to my truck, I know other people who have had their stuff stolen, but didn't really care as it didn't mean a whole lot to them. Well anyway, I'm tired of all the people over there who know everything yet have tried nothing. People love to bash what others have when they have never tried the product. Its like people try to bash me for going with Utopias and say oh you should have gone Dynaudio or Rainbow. I'll ask why and they say its better, and I'll as have you heard it...then of course they say no. Then that right there answers their question. I chose what I did because I have used Focal before and like the sound, I dont have the money to chance it on something that I may or may not like. (EX. Placenta, but thats a whole different story I don't even want to get into)

Basically Im here becase I feel the people have more experience and something to offer to me (knowledge) and hopefuly I have something you offer to you all.

Hope this makes sense because I just kinda rambled my way through it...

19. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

Alot of people are guilty of recommending stuff off of reviews that they've read where a certain product was compared to something they HAVE heard. I think that's what alot of guys at CAF do (hell i've done it before without thinking). There are a few (i.e. Bob Crumbley) who will just spout off pure shit for no reason...

20. Snausages01

Snausages01 Full Member

I generally try not to recomend things unless Ive used them or had personal experience with them. Yet, when I did this I got pounded on by MountainStew for recomending the same things. I did however have a few people stick up for me saying well if he's used them and liked them why not recomend them. (Focal, Zapco, some JL stuff, Eclipse...) Also, he never took into account the things I did try, but would not recomend. (Alpine, Memphis, and ED subs) I just always thought a recomendation ment a lot more comming from some one who has used it opposed to some one who never has. In my past Im sure I did it, but really try not to these days, or if I do I usually say that I havent had ecperience with it (in one form or another).

Im guessing Seth had something to do with signature. :ban: