capacitors

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by Adrian, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Adrian

Adrian Full Member

alright fellas i need your opions and facts on this 1 so if im gonna run lets say 500 watts would i need a capacitor or would it b a waste of money my friend bought a capcitor and it cleaned up the system a lil but my other frinnd got one and didnt help him as much his lights still dim so wat do u fellas think

2. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

3. psycho_maniac

psycho_maniac Full Member

bad idea to ask if you need a cap on this forum. because the first post usually will link you do the "Capicators, and why we dont need them" thread which is what cccullen did lol

4. Adrian

Adrian Full Member

alright how about this i install the zx400.1 amp and if lights dim and **** like happens then shouldnt i c if a cap really helps

5. danracer

danracer Full Member

nope you should do the big 3 and then add another battery if problem persists change the alt.

6. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

didnt you read the link?

i used to have one and it helped a little. then i got rid of it and upgraded my wiring aka the big 3. and it worked better than the cap.

7. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

8. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

IMO...if you are going to be running little power like less than 500 watts rms total...than upgrading the big three and adding a cap is decent. The system isn't drawing a huge current and the cap would help a little with the spikes and dips (only helps less than a volt).

If you plan on going with anything more than 500 watts rms total I'd ditch the cap and just upgrade the big three...no need for another load on the electrical system.

9. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

My truck, my car and my sons car all have caps on them. Like AZN said, they will help a little by smoothing out the spikes when current (and voltage) is needed most. Like everyone else said, the Big Three, I will also say that the addition of a cap wont hurt anything.

Stay away from those small super high value caps, they typically don't discharge fast enough to be helpful.

10. pedro quiroga

it would be nice to have a voltage meter back there to see where i'm at at comps.

i might put mine back in for that

11. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

only thing with caps with the voltmeters on them is I've found that they generally show a higher voltage than the actual voltage...I've even seen the cap show 1 volt higher than what the actual voltage was.

12. pedro quiroga

hmmm oh well i'll stick with my plug in volt meter then. is fairly accurate.

head has one too in the display.is consistant with each other.

13. pedro quiroga

so i went out to check how close the meter up front is compaired to my dmm.

well its off by a few 10th's .
    [​IMG]

mine up front read 13.7 volts. not bad at all for only running 4 gauge and the big 3.

oh adrian that amp is putting out at least 1000 watts rms.

14. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

that is a good reading for 4 gauge. just think if you upgraded to 2ga or 1ga. you'd probably get 14v. you did your big 3 with 4ga right?