Capacitator

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by sl0wm03, Dec 17, 2007.

1. sl0wm03

sl0wm03 Full Member

How do you know when you need a capacitator. I heard it's when lights start dimming and other things. Since I got my second sub in my headlights have been dimming, and the bass is just rattling the light bulb inside my car, I can't tell if it's dimming or shaking. Right now I got a 2000 watt amp. I plan on getting a second 2000 watt amp. What kind do I need (farad, I don't even know what farad is) I know some are bigger with more "tubes".

This is where I only buy from, if someone can help me with it, and explain
    Power Acoustik Car Installation & Accessories and Capacitors at Sonic Electronix

2. G3n3R@1

G3n3R@1 Full Member

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  3. danracer

danracer Full Member

caps ftl lol i hate caps to death :D...you should just get a good battery upfront and a second battery in the back, do the big three and perhaps do 2 0 gauge runs to the batt on the back. with that you should have a pretty solid electrical system...also how many amps is ur alt.??

4. sl0wm03

sl0wm03 Full Member

I'm not sure how powerful my alternator is.. how do i Find that out. I have 4gauge all around, and my amps grounded undernieth the back seat I think. My battery is probably 3 months old. It only started dimming when I installed my other sub. When I get my second amp I will be running 0 gauge wire.

ok, how do I find all this stuff about my alternator.

5. danracer

danracer Full Member

what car do u have??

6. danracer

danracer Full Member

well nvm foud out which car u have...u should have a 130 amp alt....you should up the 4 gauge to 0 gauge...which i think its your problem here...also if you can you should put a second batt on the back.

7. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

what 2000 watt amp do you have??

8. danracer

danracer Full Member

from what i saw from his pics its a power acoustik amp...am i right?

9. G3n3R@1

G3n3R@1 Full Member

question do you ever have an issue with the amp shutting down? my friend had the power acoustik ps2-1200 and we had it wired at 2ohm bridged and it could almost be cranked all the way before going into protection, also this would make the lights dim alot even with very short runs of 4guage because it was an extended cab truck. So we had to wire it at 8ohm bridged and it still put out plenty of power and never had a power issue again.

10. danracer

danracer Full Member

you cant wire PA amps or any cheap 2 channel amps at 2ohms bridged cause it ill go to protect.. you can use it for a short burp or you can blow the fuses.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  11. sl0wm03

sl0wm03 Full Member

Yea, everything in my car is poweracoustik, I think it's ps1-2000d. My amp never shuts down. It's mono chanel, only t the subs. My lights dim, but barely enough for me to notice. The reason I want one is if I'm gonna add another amp, I know I'm going to be driving in the dark lol.

12. G3n3R@1

G3n3R@1 Full Member

ya... i know i just said that.

13. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Actually you CAN bridge an amp at 2 ohms...just depends on how you set the gain and what electrical you have...it can and will work