Can I split up a single 4" port into two smaller ports?

Discussion in 'Subwoofer Box and Custom Fabrication' started by Kapow420, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Kapow420

Kapow420 New Member

/\Topic/\

Was wondering if, in hopes of saving enclosure face size, can I split up what needs to be a 4" round port into two smaller ports. And what those messurements would be if someone could help point me in the right direction.

The subs are two 12" Infinity Kappa 122.7w's that call for a ported enclosure of 2.0 cu/ft with one 4" diameter x 12.26" long port. This equates to a tuning frequency of 30 Hz.

[:O O:] <---Bassically want it to look like that where the collons are the ports. Each sub is seperated to be in their own enclosures, just wondering if I can run two smaller ports for each sub to save room so It'll fit in my trunk.

2. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

The answer to that question is yes. You can run 2 3-inch ports. Also you don't need to tune that low, absolutely no reason for that. By the way, a port of that length gives us a tuning much closer to 34Hz, not 30. In order for the tuning to be 30Hz the port would be 16-inches long

Two 3-inch ports have more cross sectional area then a four inch port so it will need to be slightly longer. For a 30 Hz tuning it will need to be 18-inches long

For a tuning around 36 Hz it will need to be 12-inches long.