calculations help...

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by kbog, Aug 22, 2002.

1. kbog

kbog Full Member

I posted this at CAF and am reposting it here. I can't remember my physics formulas.

I am looking to put a quick disconnect onto my box/amp setup. Please no lectures on theft. I know.

Anyhow here is my plan. I would like to buy an industrial grade 4 prong plug with male and female ends. On each I would run power to 2 prongs and ground to the other 2. This way I could simply unplug everything to remove it. I have done this in the past with very nice results.

The difference now is that I have 4 guage wire. Very few plug combos accept 4AWG. Also I would actually need to squeeze the power AND groung into each component. I am having a problem figuring out if the plug can handle the current though.

I will pull a max of 57 amps on the 12 volt 4 AWG power line.

The plug is rated at 50 amps, but for a 125volt or 220 volt service. Can this plug handle the load? Is this plug actually overkill?

Physics guys?

2. kbog

kbog Full Member

Hey, look at that. Do I need one for each line (power, ground)?

3. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

No, that's definitely a single plug that carries two 4 gauge wires...

If you look close at the pic, it even has a + on the one side, and a - on the other side.. with a pretty clear molded division, like two barrels.

Sounds like that's what you want!

4. kbog

kbog Full Member

Yup, that's it. Thanks bigsex. That will be less clumsy than my idea. It is at sound domain too:

ttp://www.sounddomain.com/shop/list/b/Stinger/t/Wire%20Terminals

$20 bucks. Not bad.