Bump On A Budget

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by DatDude08, Mar 30, 2009.

1. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

For a quick introduction I will say that I am a car audio newb. I have a 1965 Mustang and have finally given in to the pleas of my friends (and I want it also :D) to get some audio in it. Hopefully you guys will share some knowledge with me as to which way to go with this.

I recently purchased a Clarion HU and when that gets here I'll see how the wiring goes, but my current question doesn't have to do with that. I am on a fairly tight budget (being 17) and I am looking to get 2 12" subs and a monoblock amp. I have a buddy with Rockford Fosgate P3s that sound great and also have a buddy with 2 Kicker Comp 12s and his sytem is rocking as well. I am hoping that you guys may be able to give me a good system setup for around $500 that has good bass. I already have 2 6x9s so I'm looking for sub/amp combinations that will work good.

Also, any tips will be greatly appreciated.

2. Kvo_8

Kvo_8 Full Member

are there any brands you're looking at? there's a lot of sub/amp combos you can do thats under $500

3. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

I'm open to suggestions, but kinda leaning toward Kicker.

4. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

ok, the most important thing is you need a good front stage. so you will need some speakers up front as well. the 6x9's are good for rear fill but just remember, when you watch a band they don't play behind you they play in front of you so that's where the vocals and mid bass should be coming from.

In my personal opinion the RF subs tend to screw up easily, i think the tinsel leads mess up right away so i really wouldn't go near them. $500 for subs and amps and some comps up front can be done.

What kind of car will this be going into?

for the subs, i would go with these.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9357_Hifonics+HFi+12D4.html

sub amp:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/POWER-ACOUSTIK-BAMF2000-1D-2000-WATT-CAR-AMPLIFIER-AMP_W0QQitemZ290306769844QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Amplifiers?hash=item290306769844&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A570|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

decent components for your front:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-PHOENIX-GOLD-RSD-65CS-6-5-COMPONENT-SPEAKERS-RSD65CS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a570Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem300297464220QQitemZ300297464220QQptZCarQ5fSpeakers
    you'll have to keep the gain low on this amp for your subs.

amp for you components and 6x9's:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/POWER-ACOUSTIK-PS4-840-CAR-AMP-SUB-AMPLIFIER-4-CH-A-B_W0QQitemZ250382941142QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Amplifiers?hash=item250382941142&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A570|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

that will total out to be about $365 for everything listed above. You'll still need to make a box buy a wiring kit, RCA's, distribution block and stuff like so all in all it should come under $500

5. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

They would be going in a '65 Mustang right now, but I have to decide if I'm going to keep the car cause I may sell it for something newer, but thats only in the thought process.

6. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

sorry, i didn't notice you mentioned it's a '65 mustang.

you could put 6.5" components in the kick panels of your mustang. I had a 66' mustang before and i know you can get speakers in the doors unless you do some cutting. so i would go with kick panels.

That system should make you VERY happen. it would probably kick the crap out of your friends systems...

7. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

How good are those HiFonics subs? I've seen them recommended elsewhere, but was kinda wary cause I'd never heard of them.

8. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

if they are put in the right enclosure then they will wang good! it's not so much the sub, it's all in the enclosure. If you have an expensive sub but they are in terrible box they won't sound good. I've heard some good things about the Hifonics subs. They are cheap but they're good.

if you find the CVR's too expensive and you want to stick with kicker you could take a look at the kicker comps. I think they are single voice coil though at 300 watts RMS each. you could use the same amp that i suggested for the subs, they'll just be wired in a 2ohm configuration.

9. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

Like I said I'm open to suggestions. I understand the box being important, but would you consider one sub better than another quality wise?

Also, since you had a classic mustang how did you go about wiring up an aftermarket head unit?

10. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

well the '64 1/2 mustang is a classic. if it were me, i would not use any of the stock wiring. Since the older cars are not complicated i would just run all new speaker wires, power, ground throughout the car. It wouldn't be that hard at all to do. have you ever tried doing anything like that? are you planning to DIY the whole system?

there are characteristics for subs and i think you have to go by the characteristics according to what your liking is. If you listen to a lot of rap and want a boomy sub then I would say go with kicker. Just don't expected earth shattering bass from a kicker comp, the CVR's different story. They will make you very happy.

Since you are on a budget, you don't have many choices. I would like to see what the others have to say.

11. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

I ran new speaker wires for the 6x9s and I would like to do it myself and I think I can I just don't quite grasp how to install the new radio. If you could elaborate on that I'd appreciate it. I understand wiring the amps, subs, etc.

12. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

radio's are pretty basic. all you have on the radio is 12v power which is usually a red wire then a yellow wire (constant) which keeps the memory on the stereo when the car is off. the Yellow should be wired to a places like you car lighter positive.

The 12v red wire should run straight to your battery of off the main power line used for your amps. Once you have that done then move on to your ground wire which is black. you want to find some bare metal instide the dash where you'll put the stereo for that. just make sure that it's bare metal, you may have to sand it down a bit but always ground to bare metal.

Now you have the power and ground finished. All that's left is hooking up the speakers. Now if you are going off an amp right away then you'll not need to use the speakers wires for the stereo. if you will use without an amp yet then don't worry because they are all marked. so that should be easy for you to do.

Hope i explained it well enough. I'm at work and i have a lot on my mind so just ask if i confused you or i missed something.

13. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

Sounds good. Thanks for the explanation. Short, sweet and to the point I can't wait to get a good radio hooked up. I appreciate it a lot.

14. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

no problem. one last thing, just make sure you disconnect the negative battery terminal when you are installing. you don't want to screw up your new head unit. ONce you've made all the connections then you can connect the negative terminal again.

15. jayz85

jayz85 Full Member

I have a 64 1/2 with an alt upgrade... you arent going to be able to run much power off your stock stuff... I would look on ebay for one of the 130+ amp alts that are one wire and with our one groove pulley on it... they are fairly cheap but will make a big difference cause my car would almost turn off from just 500 watts of power... and you can buy the kick panels with holes for 6.5 in speakers... 6x9s are the way to go for the back... sub box becomes an issue... because of the weight... I have kyb shocks and traction bars all new and with a simple box it was draggin ace like no other. but its all up to you...

16. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

I had been wondering about the alternator. I may not get the 6.5s right away cause money is tight. The subs and amp are gonna be my next purchase so some more reccomendations on those would be appreciated.

17. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

Well if you have nothing else to add on the subs/amp then I will ask about what type box would be best for 2 12" kicker CVRs as I think I will go with those.

18. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

well, i would say go with a ported/vented box. what kind of space do you have for the box? would you be willing to make on your own?

19. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

I have a good bit of trunk space (34x19 that is useable) and I also thought about putting in 2 singles one behind each seat. I can build my own box, my dad builds cabinets and houses so I have all the needed tools I would just need a design to follow.