Bridgeable?

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by fb4076, May 11, 2004.

1. fb4076

fb4076 Full Member

OK, if an amp is bridgeable, does that mean that you can combine two channels to make twice the power? For example.... a bridgeable amp that is 2 x 320 Watts RMS... does that mean that if I were to bridge that amp... it would in theory be producing 640 watts RMS?

2. delvryboy

delvryboy Full Member

normally, yes

you really need to read the specs for the particular amp

general example : 2x100@ 4ohm, 2x190@2ohm, 1x380@4ohm bridged

in almost all cases, bridged output is the sum of 2 channel @ 2ohm

3. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Scratch the word "almost". ;)

By nature, the amp will make the sum of it's 2 ohm power into 4 ohms, when bridged.

OR, if the amp is 1 ohm stable, it would make the sum of it's 1 ohm power into 2 ohms when bridged.

Or if the amp was 1/2 ohm stable... it would bridge to 1 ohm.
    Etc.

It's not that the amp is making more power...
    It's that it's able to do it at a higher impedance.

The amp still has the same limitations, regarding it's output power...
    Which is why a 2 ohm stable amp can't be bridged to 2 ohms, or you'll smoke something in the amp. ;)

100x2 at 4 ohms stereo (200 total)
    200x2 at 2 ohms stereo (400 total)
    400x1 at 4 ohms bridged
    (Smoke, *poof*) at 2 ohms bridged

B)

4. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

no that means it is able to go over a bridge B) :lol: :bag: :bash: :crutch: :eek:t: :no: :yes:

5. fb4076

fb4076 Full Member

ok, totally unrelated topic... but my subs are rated to handle 750 watts at 2 ohms. Would it be hard on them to underpower them at like 500-600 watts?

6. delvryboy

delvryboy Full Member

nope, but i have never seen a sub rated at a certain load :unsure:

7. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

lol, subs create the load, it is not varaible

8. fb4076

fb4076 Full Member

What? that doesn't make any sense to me.... It is a 750 watt sub..... that is what they recommend to power it.....

9. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

yes you will be fine with underpowering it, unpowering subs will never kill them but set your gain properally as always

and what we are talking about is a amplfier puts ou power at X ohm load, a ohm is a measurment of electical resistance

the Subwoofer Coil "resists" the electical charge the amplifier puts of, the Resistance is measured in Ohms

so the subwoofer is the LOAD

most of the times you sdont see subwoofers rated with XXXwatts at X ohms

that is the format for amplifiers ;)

10. fb4076

fb4076 Full Member

yes, I understand that... the amp I am talking about is 550 watts at 2 ohms, and the sub is a 2 ohm sub, that the manufacturer recommends powering with 750 watts RMS

11. fb4076

fb4076 Full Member

Ok, I am going to be running two 12-inch Kicker Solobaric L7's off of one MA audio 1200 watt (RMS rating) amp both the amp rating is at 2 ohms, and the subs are 2 ohm subs. Will this amp actually be able to produce the power that is needed? or will I need perhaps two of them. I do not know how much you all know about the MA Audio amps, but I know that some companies tend to "pad their stats" and I didn't know if MA was one of them that did not quite put out its rated power.

12. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

that is one company your going to get mixed Reviews on

Some people will go to their graves saying thay pad the numbers

Some People will go to their graves saying they dont

This Steems from the Close Ties to Audiobahn, and the Fact they have in the Past

But Like Audiobahn, I feel anyway, they stopped the doing that, at th same time the MSRP on their products went up up up

13. fb4076

fb4076 Full Member

Well... I think that it is one of their older models of amps. It is an HK1997 so I would assume it is older since it was rather inexpensive. Just thought I would add that in case it would change your mind about whether or not they would put out their rated power.