Brahma rocks; Fosgate HX2 sucks

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Steven Kephart, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

My best friend was borrowing a Rockford Fosgate HX2 10" sub from his friend. It is in a sealed enclosure. Because my CD player is still broken, I told him he could borrow my B10. So I got my old sealed box out and dropped the sub in. I put the two enclosures next to each other, and was laughing at the difference in enclosure size. The Brahma box is kinda small next to the RF enclosure. But when you pick them up, the weight difference is huge and definitely goes to the Brahma.

Well I put the sub in his car and hooked it up to his 4 channel Eclipse amp. The HX2 was bridged to one channel. So I hooked the Brahma up to 1 ohm and bridged the Eclipse to see if it could handle it. The power light didn't stay on for very long. Protection was almost instant. :) Then I hooked it up 2 ohms stereo, but still bridged. I then check the gains to make sure they are set right. He had his friend install the amp. Sure enough they were up all the way. I turned them down a bit and let him test the sub. He turns it up and it gets loud, but sounds like crap (and not because of the "music" he was using). So I do a little more searching and found that the bass boost was turned up all the way as well. :stupid: So I turn that all the way off and let him listen to it again. Now it sounds like a Brahma, just pure music (well except for he was testing it with ©rap).

I asked him what he thought. He says it sounds MUCH better. I'm not surprised with how much that amp was probably clipping before. :eek: But he says it is much louder as well. So the Brahma in a smaller enclosure is that much louder. Now I know it could be because of lower impedances to the amp, therefore getting more power. But still, people label it as a very inefficient sub. I very much disagree. :p

2. QtRKoR

QtRKoR Full Member

I totally agree with you about the brahma being efficient. Before I got my JBL 1200.1, I was running it sealed off of a 300 watt crossfire, and that was more than enough for a "normal" person. :D Obviously not enough for me, but thats beside the point now isnt it?

3. luvdeftonz

luvdeftonz Full Member

Steven, I've noticed a posting trend with regard to driver size..hmm, has me thinkin'..Penis envy, er, driver envy...er..ah, nevermind :lmfao:

You would be surprised (well, maybe not...) at how many people are clueless on how to set up a freakin' amp. How hard is it to set gains? Or choose the appropriate enclosure. Or avoiding excessive bass boost (if you purchase the right sub/amp/enclosure combo, it shouldn't be needed, imo). It's kind of annoying how easy it is to improve the sound of so many aftermarket systems, regardless of the equipment he/she selected...I digress. Heh, whodathunk, a B10 better than a HX2 10. RF has too damn much money to put out overpriced, underengineered gear. I hope Dan W. doesn't get swayed with a fat contract from Best Buy... :no:

4. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

I dont really like Defend RF, because God knows I think they are a worthless company

but I have to give the Install 99% of the balme for the Bad Sounding RF sub in this case,