Brahma 32,000 Watts != Dead

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by fetid fop's feces, Oct 22, 2002.

1. guys-----as dan has so well explained there are really a couple major sources of "high level nonlinearity" in speakers-------a very short 20K burst into a speaker with a high mass coil is not gonna generate much heat rise------BUT it is likely to tax the linear limits of the suspension---------Dan -------send me an e-mail-----the guys just left that came with the Brahma for the test-----we hit a maximum of 32K before audible stress------but i learned something that had escaped me till now ( concerning the DUMAX tests) and i think you might be interested in thinking it over before i post the entire results..........RC
    http://www.carsound.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php...ic;f=1;t=019538

I dont think it can handle 1600 watts :rolleyes:

2. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

THAT'S IT??? I am exceptionally disapointed.

3. systempimp_1500

systempimp_1500 Full Member

Well i'd have to say that the brahma could take 1600 rms, just not for

really long periods of time. Dan even says that 1000 is plenty enough to

push it to its full potential. Who wants to push 1600 watts per sub in

a daily driver anyways? itll handle 3000-4000 watts burps, which is plenty

for comps :D

jeff

4. chadillac3

chadillac3 Full Member

Just keep in mind that this 32k is different that the everyday abuse people put these woofers through....

5. Of course, just many people think that the brahma is a peice of trash because people are roasting it with less than 1000 watts. I am pretty sure that if it can handle peaks of 32kW it can take 1600 watts for normal responsible use.

Just remember big amps dont kill subs, people do!

Sandt what are you disapointed about :huh:

Any way here is a little update:
    "i have not had a chance to talk to dan for more than a brief moment-----i was in a meeting when he called and when i called back the line was busy------since then i have e-mailed him the test results i have not been able to reach him-----i think they must be gone for today so likely tomorrow we will reveal the charts and comments-------about the JL test------there are a few slight differences in the tests------at the time we tested the JL we only had enough service in the building to use one giant amp at a time-------that is the reason the JL test stopped at 20KW-------yesterday we had a full 40KW on hand and we used 32 of it-------not such a big deal since the real world difference in 20KW and 32KW is not a practical issue--------yes the 12 did have some "noise" problems that were either due to the spider or leads--------i'm not really sure which------so we ended up testing the 15 that was in a car with a box that was not removable (and probably a little too big for best overall results)------fortunately it was a hatchback so with the hatch wide open we could at least measure it in what would essentially be "out of car" conditions-------we did power compression sweeps as well but stopped short of the 1kw sweep since we did not want to take a chance with chaz's personal speaker--------i really don't want to go into detail till i discuss the results with dan but i will cover a few general observations that i feel comfortable making-------if you have less than 1kw the brahma is likely to have more usable output than the JL by about 1 to 1.5 dB over much of the range from 20 to 60HZ--------it is possible this extra output was due to the larger box???????--------BUT if you have more power I believe the JL will easily put out more undistorted sound-------thats all i want to say for now................RC"

6. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I wanted 60K :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Mine sees 1700 watts pimp, and it is so warm you can barely tell it is there with rock music. Now, if I put in Bass Mekanik to show it of...

7. RC ony has 40 K! :dunno:

8. The_spacemonkey

The_spacemonkey Full Member

He never said it couldnt handle 1,600 watts.... just that the W7 will be louder at that point. Hell it handled 32,000 watts!!!

9. I wasn't speaking about RC's tests. I was talking about people who think the brahma is an unreliable peice of trash.