Box Covering

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by The_Ancient, Jun 1, 2004.

1. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

I am tried of Carpet.. I want something DIFFERANT

a few of the idea I am considering are

1> Bed Liner Covering
    2> Rubberized Covering
    3> Normal Paint
    4> Specialzed "texture" paint

any other idea? any problems you see with the above Ideas?

I will be making a new box for the Shiva in my Truck this month some time and I am trying to come up with something other than carpet to cover it

2. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

How about covering the box with carbon fiber? :p

3. texcon

texcon Full Member

Textured paint with a nice glossy finish can look very nice. I think geolemon has pics of a box he built with a textured paint finish.

4. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I've done tons of painted finishes...

I was never really a fan of carpeting (although, for the boxes I do for Seth, I'm sure that'll be the covering of choice)... not the end result, but the carpeting process. Fuzzies stuck to the fingers, then you try to get the contacts out at the end of the day... ouch. :p

Here's one with two different colors of stone textured finish, I use the stone finishes a lot (green is a new one for me, I grabbed it because it looked interesting):
    http://www.betteraudio.com/geolemon/isobp/isobp.htm

Here's a white one, the white is pretty cool, and different in that most boxes are black, or dark grey... sort of a total inverse of what you might expect:
    http://www.betteraudio.com/geolemon/quadis...iso/QuadIso.htm

On this link, scroll all the way down to the "marble finishes I have done" link:
    http://www.geocities.com/geolemon/piclinks
    I can't find this stuff near me anymore, but you'd buy a can of "marble shooter"... it simply shot strings out, or rather a web that shot out... and you had to use a little skill to shoot it not at the box, but adjacent to the box and let it fload down on your basecoat... which you could use anything for - so you can get really creative with it. Look around for it. B)

5. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Also...
    I'd suggest laminate, like Formica (or Wilsonart.. or I've even done the cheap stuff, works fine on a box).
    It's easy to do, even... all you really need is a gallon of contact cement and a laminate trimming bit for your router.
    Stick on one surface, use the laminate trimmer to trim it flush to the box.
    Stick on the next surface, repeat.
    Start with the bottom, then the sides, then the front/back, then the top.

I used Formica in my Civic... grey marble, in the areas that aren't grey vinyl or mirror, like my spare tire cover, trim rings for my outer two subs, and backing for the amps. B)

6. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I also don't know how "wild 'n crazy" you want "different" to be...

It would look cheesy in the wrong context...
    But done right, could look very cool - faux fur!
    Or, that long-hair faux gorilla fur... depends on what interior you are planning on sticking it in, but that would also be a faux-recess on the subs! :lol:

7. The_spacemonkey

The_spacemonkey Full Member

Mine is covered with black acrylic fur.... my old one was covered with white tiger fur :D

Try that out mike.... its quite cool and Joanns Fabrics has some dark brown long fur (think chewbacca) that would look excellent :p

8. KhaoticLE

KhaoticLE Full Member

some end products of vinyl covered....do look clean!!!!

9. texcon

texcon Full Member

Geo, when you put gloss coats over your boxes, was that a spray on gloss coat or a brush on gloss coat? Just curious as I want to give my next box a faux-stone paint job and I need to add some clearcoat for protection.

10. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I always use a spray... usually rattle-can products.
    Most are good quality... one of the best I've used is a "triple thick" clearcoat, it really does go on thicker, per spray, and on textured finishes, you don't notice any compromise in the appearance of the final coat. B)