Blown fuses

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Trybaldog, Apr 26, 2003.

1. Trybaldog

Trybaldog Guest

I BRIDGED 3 10 INCH VISONIK SUBWOOFERS (ENCLOSED) TO THE REAR CHANNEL OF MY MEMPHIS AMP, 350 WATTS. I THEN COMBINED 2 6X9'S AND 2 5.25'S AND BRIDGED TO THE FRONT CHANNEL, AFTER ABOUT A 1/2 HOUR I AM BLOWING BOTH FUSES. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? WOULD A CROSSOVER FOR THE SUBS REMEDY THE PROBLEM. ALSO I DON'T SEEM TO HAVE LEFT AND RIGHT, SO, I AM USING FRONT AND BACK.

2. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

What are the voice coil configuraitions on your VIsonik's? I'd be willing to be that you sent the amp too low of an impedance, and that's what's causing the blown fuses.

3. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

yeppers.

too much bridging going on here for it to be safe.

4. squatchie

squatchie Full Member

you shuold crossover the subs at some point whether it be an external crossover or the crossover on the amp. subs dont really like the full range. And how do you have your subs wired to each other? what is the impedence rating on each sub (or each voice coil)?

Same question for your by-nines and 5.25", i am assuming each speaker is just plugged into the front channel of your amp. Do you have a 2-channel or 4-channel amp?

:ph34r:

5. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

First on the left hand side of your keyboard about mid way up there is a button called "caps lock" please depress this button, yelling is not premitted in my house :D

Next let me examine this more indepth for you

Assuming each of your full range speakers are 4ohm, That out be 1ohm ona 2channel, or 2ohm/ch on a 4ch (using only the fronts)

Now 2ohm per channel with 2 Front channels should be ok

1ohm on a single front channel of a 2ch amp, is BAD BAD BADDDDDDDDDDDD will can fry the amp, or Blow a fuse

Now aussming the 3 visioniks are DVC 4ohm, (most are) that would give you many wiring options -- 24ohm / 2.6666 / .3333333

your best bet is the Series/Parrallel of 2.6666

again if you have them wired in that way on a 2ch amp using the rear channels. it should be fine

but if you have a 4ch amp with a rears channels bridged that is BADDD NEWS

there is diffenally a Ohm Load problem here though,

More information is needed about your products before I or anyone else here case awnser you properly

Please list the Make, and Model of ALL of your componets