BIG speaker problem.

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by jreiter75, Jun 6, 2011.

1. jreiter75

jreiter75 New Member

About 9 months ago, I purchased a sony xplod headunit for my car (http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666079665). It maxs out at 52 watts. To go with it, I bought 2 pairs of alpine type S speakers, each putting out 80 watts. I'm sure we are all familiar with the type S series. Well, against all expectations, they don't seem to get along well. When ever I max out the xplod, the alpines start to get seriously distorted, even though they have a higher wattage than the xplod. I have tried countless amounts of equilizer combinations to fix this pressing issue, but still when the xplod is maxed out, I hear the music, but it is distorted to the bass. My current equalizer is:
    Low: -7
    mids:-9
    high:-10

I also have had trouble with the treble, it seems that the alpines, with the xplod, put out much higher frequencies of treble, killing my ears, with the distortion as well. I would really appreciate some useful advice, because I'm sick of having a sound-system that's quality is being seriously undermined by its' preformance.

Thanks,
    Josh

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

FYI your speakers are not putting out power.. they take in power. your problem is distortion. your head unit is putting out at best 15~17 watts at a low distortion rate.. after that its pure ****.

try not cranking the **** out of the stereo.

adding an amp may be what you need to get louder unclipped volume that you want.

3. jreiter75

jreiter75 New Member

alright thanks, but is there anything I could do that doesn't involve spending money? I have a very thin budget and need to solve this, idealistically, without spending anything.

4. Promodmerc

Promodmerc Full Member

Keeping the volume down as Pedro said is the only way with out spending money. Any HU be it after market or factory will give the same result when cranked to the max.

5. mmwwjr

mmwwjr Full Member

^^^This^^^