Battery, batteries, and those damn wookies

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by squatchie, Jan 16, 2003.

1. squatchie

squatchie Full Member

I am going to replace both of my batteries i have currently, along with the alternator. I do not know what type of battery to get. I looked at the Optima yellow-tops and thought they would be great to provide that long drain type of power. But i dont know if i should get 2 of them, or 2 Die Hard Golds. I am told the Die Hards will last longer and perform similiar, for less price.

Not really concerned about running the stereo with the car off, i have a problem with the headlights dimming and wish to upgrade the entire circuit to correct that problem.

I was told the Die Hard's will last longer, but dont know if that is true or if they will provide more available current for a longer duration versus the Optima's. Having a slightly under-sized alternator, the battaries need to supply the power for a short amount of time.

2. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

I'm not sure which will last longer, but if you're talking about putting one battery under the hood, it needs to be an Optima RED top, not YELLOW. The Yellow tops aren't meant for starting engines.

3. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

I pay extra for a Pretty Top??????????????????????????????????

Get ethe Die Hard or any other GOOOD battery like a Instersate, Exide etc

4. prophesized

prophesized Guest

yellow tops can be used as starting batteries.

when i had a die hard gold i had some dimming at moderate volume...switching to a red top made it go away at the same volume but i still had a little dimming at max volume.

5. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I reccomend red tops, interstate, AC Delco (I use AC Delco Platinum Professional batteries with NO issues of dimming or other problems and I run akmost 2000WRMS of pure AB power :) ). I saved a little read I wrote a while back with regaurds to the use of deep cycle batteries for starters... The tone is of frustration, but it is not directed toward you.

By the way, I am AC Delco certified in L1, L2, L3, and 3 starting and charging studies. They are Electrical systems, simple and complex as well as Starting systems and charging systems...

6. squatchie

squatchie Full Member

Hey wow, a good answer. Im no expert in battery tech, but what i pick up is the deep cycle batteries discharge and recharge slower. Wouldn't this be bad for a continious power drain (2300 watts RMS) of the stereo? Im running a Die Hard Gold up front and a Silver in the trunk, wired in parrallel.

I have 2 JL 300/2, and a 1600-watt monster for the subs. 0-Gauge from battery to Dist.Blocks, 4-gauge from the blocks to the amps, 4-gauge from the amps neg to the blocks, and 0-gauge from the blocks to the fraim. I didnt really want to install an isolator, mainly because i do not know how and dont know the cost involved.

7. Snausages01

Snausages01 Full Member

Very Interesting and quite informative. Thanks....

So is it worth it to buy a Red Top for a starter battery or will any other 'good' battery do?

PS I posted pictures for you last night :)

8. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Chris, any good battery will do. I do highly reccomend AC Delco, Optima Red Tops or Interstate, as they are the best out there (by the by, Motorcraft is using AC as a supplier for some batteries, the green eye is AC Delco). Don't get some off brand, the drain of our high powered systems will wear a cheap battery real quick. The heat generated through discharge and recharge is rough on batteries, especially cheaply constructed ones.

9. Snausages01

Snausages01 Full Member

Well I learned something new tonite...so thats always good. Whats the price of the Red Tops? they are cheaper than the Yellow top right? but by how much generally? BC I had planned on doing two yeloow tops until to tonite! so im going to have to re think that one I think....

10. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

yeah, about $30 less around here.

11. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

you do realize Optima and Die hard as well as about 15 other Brand names are all Johnson Batteries right

12. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

Yes, i'm aware of that Seth, however, everything i've read claims yellow tops are not good at all for starting engines.... That was my only point.

13. Snausages01

Snausages01 Full Member

no I did not...

But I am kinda partial to them bc they do look nice and Im not an all based on looks person but under the hood in a nice install they can look good.

And honestly I havent done a whole lot of research on batterys but what other battery combo would work just as well if not better? My friend told me he can get the yellow tops for 130 new he bought one and was thinking about getting another.

14. squatchie

squatchie Full Member

I was asking more of this question: Deep cycle or a 'regular' start your car-type battery. I will get 2, and since i do not have an isolator, they should be the same. The Optima and DieHard are the easiest for me to get out in the boonies. The Red top and the Gold run about $90-100, the Yellow Top about $130.

As far as isolators go, should i really have one? I dont actually understand fully what they do or cost, etc....

15. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Yes, i'm aware of that Seth, however, everything i've read claims yellow tops are not good at all for starting engines.... That was my only point.[/b][/quote]
    Not you silly... Hazard is a Chris too :lol: :lol: :lol:

Somewhat, however the diehards with the green eye are AC delco as well... They are farmed out to differant Mfgs. Also, the requirements set forth by Die Hard for their batteries are less than that of the batteries made with the AC logo. So, while the same company makes the batteries that doesn't mean they are the same final product. You are correct though, I believe that there are ~5 Automotive battery producers in the world.

16. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

You do need an isolator. Otherwise if one battery has slightly more energy the other battery will pull that. The batterys will keep fighting one another even while the car is off causing premature death. The isolator isolates the batterys from eachother and prevents the fighting.

17. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

You should run an isolator. Cost is dependant upon Alt size.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

There is my isolator and second battery. It is a 240 Amp isolator, I have 120 amp alt but I wanted an isolator with more capability, just to be safe.

Isolators do just what the name implies, they isolate the load on 1 particular battery (to prevent the other from being drained) and they isolate the charge to the battery that needs to be charged, eliminating overcharging of the other battery. I do not suggest the continuous duty relays/solenoids that are also offered as an isolator. They are junk, don't last, allow overcharging, they burn up and start fires.

18. Snausages01

Snausages01 Full Member

:unsure: So are you saying that you would not recomend the stinger relays? And with the isolator, you match the amperage with that of the alt. or with what the stereo pulls? For ex. my stereo may/will pull 300+ amps but my alt may only be a 200ish amp alt. (pending on what i get) so do i get a 200 amp isolator or a 300 amp isolator? How much would you guess an isolator in my situation would be? :unsure:

19. zabooza

zabooza Full Member

I'm running a die hard silver bat. great battery, IMO. I would have gotten the gold, but had to spend the least amount of money possible.

20. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Match it to the alt Chris. I suggest a little leaway, and the 240 offering is what you should consider with 200 amps. I doubled my alt output, just to be safe. The isolator should run ~$150, try NAPA.